Bike Newport is an exciting fast-paced leader in bicycle advocacy. We bring together community programs and
leaders to establish positive outcomes for bicycling in Newport and Aquidneck Island, and to influence statewide
bicycle planning. Our goal is to get more people on bicycles for both recreation and transportation, and we make
progress by focusing on three primary areas: safe road infrastructure, road sharing education, and building bicycle culture. We work with intention to ensure equity in access, participation, and leadership, with a focus on removing obstacles to bicycling such as location, personal mobility, income, language, gender, culture, race, and more.
All Bike Newport staff are directly involved in the organization’s programs and initiatives; all staff complete training in bicycle riding, basic bike maintenance, and anti-racism. All staff agree to follow the rules of the road, bike for transportation as much as possible, and serve as role models and advocates for safe cycling practices.
Bike Newport is an inclusive environment welcoming to all languages, gender identities, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, abilities, and walks of life. Together, staff ensure implementation of Bike Newport’s organizational values in programs, policies, and practices, and trainings including anti-racism, LGBTQIA+ BRAVE Space, economic justice, inclusivity, livable/healthy environment, and livable/healthy lifestyles.
The Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for elevating and promoting Bike Newport and the full
range of programs and initiatives, ensuring high visibility and public support, with an exciting, robust, and varied
• Advanced work experience in marketing and communications
• Creativity and strategic thinking
• Ability to work collaboratively as a positive and proactive team member
• Ability to adjust decisions in varied or changing environments
• Excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Graphic design, photography, video, and photo/video editing skills (basic at minimum)
• Knowledge of social media and web trends, best practices, and analytics
• Media relations outreach and management
• Highly organized, attention to detail, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
• Software Skills Desired: WordPress; MailChimp or similar email service provider; Microsoft Office including
Word and Excel; Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop; Canva or other graphic design software for social media.
• Key competencies include strategic agility, positive attitude, collaborative spirit, and prioritization of diversity,
equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
The Marketing & Communications Manager will implement design, content, and frequent placement of the full
range of communications tools in keeping with the organization’s brand, tone, graphic style, and standards:
• Create, schedule, place, follow up, and track program information and promotion via:
o Agency web site (Wordpress)
o Social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
o Agency newsletter and other targeted email
o Location signage and front office video loop
o Press releases and press management
o Signage, postering, and print materials
o Internal and community calendars
o Partner and community platforms
• Establish communications strategy across all media to optimize messages, appeals, and website traffic and to
build brand and issue awareness.
• Publish a variety of content that is visually appealing and provides an overall rich experience for the audience.
Manage all content to be on-brand, search- and social-optimized, and in keeping with the agency’s graphic
• Ensure all communications are culturally sensitive and available in English and Spanish.
• Ensure engagement of all socioeconomic and cultural sectors and neighborhoods of the greater Newport
• In partnership with Director of Development, create and update marketing materials and documents in support
of fundraising and donor stewardship.
• Create event communications tools as needed, such as posters, flyers, social media graphics, handouts and
giveaways. Manage placement and distribution to ensure broad community awareness.
• Write press releases, bi-weekly newsletter, web site blog, essays, and other partner/member alerts as needed.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns; track and share results for continuous improvement to targeting and
• Track and store all earned media related to Bike Newport activity
• Maintain a current and complete press list reflective of new connections and rejection of email addresses.
• Track and report communications impact.
• Provide a monthly report that incudes trends, insights, and featured activity for social, print, and broadcast
• Become knowledgeable and stay apprised of bicycle advocacy activity at the local, state, and national level.
• Set and manage community surveys as needed.
• Represent Bike Newport at monthly Chamber of Commerce meeting and Discover Newport Marketing
meeting; use these opportunities to enhance relationships with local business community members.
• Research and present to the Executive Director new and unique ways to improve agency communications and
• Create a document detailing what needs to be done whenever you are absent from the office to ensure smooth
• Work cooperatively and supportively with all staff to ensure optimum agency and project progress.
We will begin interviews for this position immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to: Allyson McCalla, Director of Operations - firstname.lastname@example.org.