Are you ready to write your next chapter with us?
About the Company:
The Baltimore Banner is a nonprofit newsroom founded to bring high-quality local journalism to the Baltimore metro area. We are creating a vibrant, strong, trustworthy, and sustainable news organization, seeking to re-imagine the future of local news. Using a multi-platform news operation, covering a broad range of topics from local government to culture and the arts. We tell stories that reflect the community, connecting neighbors, holding government institutions accountable and making sense of the world. All this work is grounded in truth. We believe we can contribute to a more vibrant, informed and whole Baltimore, surrounding counties and state of Maryland.
About the Job:
We are looking for an editor that will help oversee and improve The Baltimore Banner’s existing newsletter portfolio, grow our audience and help develop and launch new products. This is a hybrid position located in the Inner Harbor office. You will directly supervise one employee, and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage daily content creation, curation and execution of our growing newsletter portfolio
- Curate, edit and write newsletters
- Collaborate with audience engagement team and editorial staff on newsletter content strategy
- Work with audience engagement editors on ongoing social media strategy
- Work with audience leadership and marketing teams to grow audience and increase engagement and retention of subscribers
- Track the success of editorial newsletters against established KPIs
- Ensure overall quality and consistency of editorial content across newsletter products
- Manage the Newsletter Writer, who is responsible for writing The Baltimore Banner’s flagship product, The Scan
- This position may require work on nights and weekend
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or a related field. A minimum of five years of related experience
- Experience developing, writing or editing newsletters for a media organization
- Understand how to use analytics to make decisions that translates into strategy recommendations
- Experience representing a brand on various social media platforms
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work closely with stakeholders across all departments
- Knowledge of multiple email service providers (ESPs)
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Proficiency in copy editing, writing headlines, and captions according to The Baltimore Banner and of AP Style
- At least five years of experience in a newsroom setting
- Creative thinking and experience turning a new idea into reality
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, MailChimp or other ESP, CMS and email
"This position requires that you be vaccinated against Covid-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation for religion or a health-related need."
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living. We assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.