Job Title: Books Editor
Team: Editorial Team
Reports To: Editorial Director
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Start Date: April 1, 2023
Leads all editorial efforts with books coverage and helps acquire and edit books.
Position works out of home office.
RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties may be assigned)
Books Coverage and Edit (80%)
- Assign, edit, and publish three reviews per week—books that directly or indirectly engage with ideas that advance the overall mission of TGC of equipping the church. This would largely include Christian books, but also secular titles. Occasionally coordinate with Themelios team on specialized academic titles with wider popular appeal. (TGC.org/reviews)
- Select excerpts of new books, conduct interviews with authors, and write roundups of book recommendations.
- Oversee the annual TGC Book Awards, coordinating with book publishers, TGC editors, and judges.
- Manage and write TGC’s books newsletter.
- Experiment with multimedia and social media efforts to highlight and commend books. Evaluate existing books coverage and bring proposals for new formats, venues, and media that would serve TGC’s readers and mission.
- First point of contact with TGC’s marketing team and assist with promotional efforts for books.
- Maintain and regularly update book-related pages at TGC.org.
- Acquire and publish one article a month in longform series.
Acquire Books (20%)
- Actively solicit, acquire, evaluate, and develop new titles (3–5 a year).
- Work with authors on concepts, outlines, and revisions of manuscripts, from substantive structural feedback through line edits.
- Serve as a member of the publishing committee.
- Assist with preparing book proposals for the publishing committee to ensure alignment with TGC’s Foundation Documents and commercial viability.
- Prepare copy for marketing and promotional materials for forthcoming publications.
This role requires attendance to TGC’s bi-annual national conference and other events as requested.
This position currently has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Commitment to the gospel, Reformed theology, and TGC’s Foundation Documents (Confessional Statement and Theological Vision for Ministry).
- Extensive editorial abilities, with at least five years of experience.
- Biblical and theological knowledge, both of the historical development and also the current debates over pastoral practices, spirituality, and doctrine. At least Master of Divinity (or equivalent) required.
- Widespread connections with other writers, pastors, and professors who will contribute to TGC when invited by the Editor.
- Knowledge of the Christian publishing landscape.
- Effective, goal-oriented team player who can cultivate productive working relationships.
- Ability to manage projects ranging from individual reviews to excerpts demanding coordination between multiple authors, editors, and staff members.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Commitment to and active engagement within an evangelical local church.
To apply, please send us your résumé along with a cover letter to email@example.com explaining why you would like to join The Gospel Coalition and why you’d be the ideal candidate for this position.