The Philadelphia Inquireris looking fora Newsletter Editor to join its Programming & Audience team. This team manages the digital distribution tactics for The Inquirer’s journalism and works to optimize our coverage for the widest possible reach and engagement. The Newsletter Editor will contribute to the production, strategy and expansion of our email newsletter portfolio.
What You’ll Do
- Write, edit, format and send newsletters built around The Inquirer’s journalism.
- Expand our capacity for creating, launching and regularly executing a range of new newsletters in various formats.
- Act as an occasional backup writer for some existing Inquirer newsletters, including our Morning Newsletter.
- Work collaboratively with our newsletter team as well as colleagues from Product, Sales and Marketing to drive engagement, list sizes and revenue for our email newsletter portfolio.
- Help editors and reporters conceptualize, evolve and execute newsletters associated with their coverage areas.
What We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate will have 3-plus years of experience working in digital media. Prior experience working specifically with newsletters, email and mobile notifications is big plus, but not necessarily a requirement. Experience working in social media, curation and other audience development roles is also applicable to this position, as is prior reporting and editing experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills are both crucial for this role, as is the ability to quickly distill the most important elements of stories and write and edit concise, accurate and clean copy around them.
- The ability to work across multiple subject matters. You won’t need to be an expert in all things, but you’ll need to be able to learn enough to contribute to and understand multiple coverage areas in our newsroom. You’ll need to be well organized and comfortable working on multiple projects at once.
- Familiarity with digital publishing tools, content management systems and email service providers are necessary and a recurring part of this job.
- A passion for news and familiarity with news industry editorial standards and best practices.
- The ability to understand data, trends and key performance indicators and use that information to inform your work.
- A curiosity for how people consume information as technology and trends continue to evolve. Contribute to building systems and initiatives that encourage people to form a habit of engaging with our journalism.
- Meeting deadlines and keeping projects on track will be crucial for this job, as is the ability to work collaboratively with others.
This position is based in the Greater Philadelphia area and will work within The Inquirer’s hybrid work model. There will be flexibility to work many shifts from home. Shifts will be daytime hours. There’s potential that one weekend day could be included in the regular schedule.