The diaTribe Foundation is seeking a versatile and experienced Managing Editor to manage its coverage on an array of news and feature stories about all aspects of diabetes. This is an assigning editor and writing position whose primary duties will involve working with writers, developing story ideas, writing and editing about diabetes and overseeing our weekly newsletter. This position will guide the tone and style of our reporting.
The Managing Editor is responsible for guiding the overall editorial excellence and content of diaTribe Learn, the diaTribe Foundation’s weekly publication. This editor should have experience in health and science reporting and be comfortable assigning and editing stories about diabetes research, medications, technology, complications and nutrition.
The Managing Editor will be part of the editorial leadership team, working closely with the Editorial Director, the CEO and others to establish coverage strategies to make sure our journalism reaches the widest possible audience. The primary focus is on guiding the publication of Learn to consistent high quality and fulfillment of its mission: We seek to empower our readers with useful, actionable information that gives them hope for a better future, and helps them live happier and healthier lives. Our tagline is “Making Sense of Diabetes.”
Interested candidates should send a resume, portfolio and a short cover letter setting out why you want this job to email@example.com.
This is a remote position, but occasional travel to The diaTribe Foundation headquarters in San Francisco is required, as is the ability to travel to a handful of diabetes conferences each year.
The Managing Editor has overall accountability and responsibility for:
- The publication of high-quality issues according to a predetermined publication schedule that reflects our mission and learning areas.
- The pipeline of articles for future issues, assigning articles to the appropriate writers, following up with writers to ensure articles are moving through the editorial process and ensuring that resources are in place to meet both quality and production schedule requirements.
- Working with the senior staff to shape the strategy and direction of all of our communications propertiesincluding initiatives to expand subscriptions, website visitors, reader impact and engagement.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Delivering value to our readers and enhancing the reach of our stories
- Increasing our metrics so that we can improve our reach and engagement
- Writing and editing articles for diaTribe Learn
- Working with SEO manager to optimize articles for search
- Working with Social Media manager to make sure articles are optimized for social engagement and impact
- Developing and maintaining relationships with writers
- Meeting regularly with writers and staff for coordination and status updates
- Enforcing publication standards for editorial content
- Providing feedback to authors, including publication decisions
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent writing skills and mastery of AP Style
- Previously published
- Broad medical and or science background
- Extensive editing skills
- Able to understand, assess and advise on the medical, social, political and economic aspects of the health care in general and diabetes and obesity specifically as it impacts society and patients
- Demonstrated success planning and executing strategies designed to meet organizational communications objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with variety of individuals, including staff, advisory board members, colleagues and authors
- Familiarity with publication software and social media
- Previous experience as an editor or associate editor is preferred
- Knowledge of diabetes