About the role
We’re looking for an editor who will independently find content opportunities and produce longform website and newsletter content to capture those opportunities. You’ll also have an opportunity contribute to repurposes of content on social media.
You’ll work directly with our editorial and engineering teams to regularly update high-performing existing content on our website and write optimized briefs for new content. You’ll get to leave your mark on the organization’s processes, get some bylines for all content you edit or write, and learn how editorial content and business can actually work together.
This role is fully remote. We’re open to starting this role in a part-time capacity for the first month before it shifts to full-time. (We think of part-time as around 20 hours per week.)
What we do — in 20 seconds or less
At daydream, we currently work on one main product, Flixed. Flixed is a popular streaming recommendation website we’ve built using a massive dataset, engineering know-how, and editorial direction. We help people decide what they should watch and figure out where they can watch it.
Why we’re hiring an editor
Flixed produces content to target search terms like “How to Watch [TV Show/Movie/Live Sports Event].” A large percentage of our content production is currently programmatic. This means that we use a combination of data and code to create content pages at scale. Here’s an example of a programmatically generated page.
Developing relationships with our readers is key to achieving our next stage of growth at Flixed. To build those relationships, we to strengthen the editorial processes behind our content. Our editor and content lead are looking for a third member of their team to speak knowledgeably about the streaming business and keep our editorial processes moving.
The culture you’ll be working in
- We prioritize deep work and minimize meetings.
- We try to keep Slack relatively quiet, and no message requires an urgent response.
- We don't do evening happy hours or other after-hours Zoom bonding activities. Occasionally, we'll do a team lunch (and pay for lunch for everyone) or a virtual coworking session during the work day. But we believe the way to make remote work work is to keep things calm and quiet and meet up twice a year, in person, for team bonding on retreat.
- We encourage people work when they need to. Set your own schedule and then put Slack on mute. We don't track hours or look for active Slack statuses.
- We believe balance fosters creativity. In other words, we believe that the best-performing people are happy, well rested, and well taken care of! You won’t be pinged at odd hours of the night or on weekends.
The people you’ll be working with
We have a pretty small core team of just seven people. You’ll join us as our eighth full-time employee. While you’ll work with everyone at the company, you’ll spend most of your time working directly with Kelsey, our content lead, and Davan, our editor.
Kelsey Reynolds: Kelsey is a marketer and content strategist based in Minneapolis. She holds a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the University of Minnesota, and has spent her career writing and editing content about marketing, education, emergency preparedness, science, cannabis, and entertainment. When she’s not at her computer, Kelsey can usually be found working in her garden or walking her two dogs in the park.
Davan Hamilton: Davan is an editor and writer based in Jacksonville, FL. Holding a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, her writing spans a wide range, from essays on film criticism and analysis to surreal poetry. When she’s not glued to her computer, you can find her building endless amounts of Lego sets, binge-reading manga, or playing with (fighting) her cat.
What you'll do here
- Research relevant content and update old content with improved titles, descriptions, and headers.
- Add new links and images and reformat content to increase search engine crawls and to encourage other sites to link to our content.
- Produce and edit snippets on programmatically produced content to give a human perspective and better answer readers’ questions.
- Optimize blog post titles and descriptions across our domains.
- Spot check existing articles to bring them in line with content guidelines.
- Brainstorm new content ideas, including content for our newsletters.
Who you are
- You love streaming and feel excited to help people find the best ways to watch the content they love.
- You have experience with SEO, digital marketing, and/or journalism and know your way around a CMS.
- You’re based in the United States or Canada with work authorization.
- You’re familiar with Notion.
- Friends and coworkers say you over-communicate.
- You know AP Style like the back of your hand.
- You’re interested in how content can actually shape a business’ bottom line.
The full-time, annual compensation for this role is $60,000. We do not adjust salary based on location for employees based in either the U.S or Canada.
Note: Daydream is a no negotiation company. Our stance is that private salary negotiations often end up being unjust. Instead, our compensation bands are public and regularly updated.
- 2 team retreats per year
- Health and wellness stipend
- Learning stipend
- Maternity and paternity leave (4 months, fully paid)
- Co-working space stipend
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- One Medical membership
- HealthAdvocate membership
- Teladoc membership
- Talkspace membership
If this position sounds like a good fit, email our content lead, email@example.com with your resume, a brief cover letter, and links to your LinkedIn profile and any writing or editing work you’re particularly proud of.