POSTING TYPE: Open Competitive
DEPARTMENT: Employee Relations
PREFERRED HIRING RANGE: $65,514.00 - $81,892.00 /year (108 Grade Level)
LOCATION: Hastings, ADC
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on 3/6/2023
Come join us at Dakota County! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you'll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ over 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions makes Dakota County a premier place to live and work. Will you be the next person to join us at Dakota County?
The Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access (IDEA) Specialist promotes inclusion, diversity, equity, and intercultural development, centering racial equity and ensuring cultural awareness and inclusion in education and consultation. The IDEA Specialist position supports employees internal to Dakota County in multiple divisions and departments. The IDEA Specialist reports to the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access (IDEA) Manager.
The IDEA Specialist is an essential member of the County's IDEA team within the Employee Relations Department. The IDEA Specialist works collaboratively with other members of the department and countywide employees to administer the Dakota County's Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access initiatives throughout the organization. The position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to design and support program development, and to establish effective relationships with colleagues and customers at various organizational levels.
- Associate Degree in Human Resource Development, Organizational Development, Industrial Relations, Social Services, Psychology, Sociology, Leadership, Racial Equity or Gender Equity Studies or coursework in inclusion, diversity, equity or a related field AND A minimum of two years of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access (IDEA) work or related experience
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to total four or more years.
Nice To Have
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Development, Organizational Development, Industrial Relations, Social Services, Psychology, Sociology, Leadership, Racial Equity or Gender Equity Studies or coursework in inclusion, diversity, equity or a related field.
- A minimum of two years of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access (IDEA) work or related experience, specifically training and program development.
- IDEA related Professional Certifications including certification and/or experience with the Intercultural Development Inventory.
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.2. Employee Development and Consultation3. Communication and Outreach4. Other Related Duties
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: 1-4 Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
- IDEA Trainings, Programs and Events
- Co-facilitate and design IDEA trainings, workshops, and discussions on various topics related to diversity, inclusion, racial equity and intercultural development.
- Coordinate countywide IDEA programs and events including the Dakota County Diversity Fair, the IDEA Leadership Award program, and monthly and quarterly events including major speakers and panels.
- Provides support for Employee Resource Groups to coordinate recognition, education and celebration of significant dates, events, programs, and people.
- Assists others with set up and scheduling of IDEA related trainings, workshops, and events.
- Assists in consultations, leadership development, coaching, and crisis response with colleagues across the county.
- Helps administer intercultural development tools such as the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) and the Intercultural Conflict Style (ICS) inventory to individuals and groups.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the county-wide Diverse Mentoring program.
- Represents the department at meetings and committees with other colleagues and community professionals.
- Creates and maintains IDEA communication platforms including website, internal countywide posts, annual reports, and newsletter.
- Assists with bi-weekly New Employee Welcome event.
- Partners with the IDEA Manager, Employee Relations staff, and other Dakota County staff to organize and develop hiring strategies and outreach efforts to underrepresented communities.
- Responds to IDEA inquiries from various County colleagues and departments, government officials, other agencies, and the public.
- Maintains confidential personnel and departmental files.
- Develops evaluations to assist in tracking and collecting data related to IDEA training, programs, and events.
- Working knowledge of IDEA concepts, frames, assessments, and educational tools, especially related to racial equity.
- Strong interpersonal skills and organizational awareness as it relates to IDE work and racial equity.
- Skilled interpersonal communicator able to tune messages to multiple audiences.
- Demonstrated skill in IDEA program development, training and implementation.
- Demonstrated skill in research, analysis and evaluation;
- Collaborative facilitator in one-on-one and group settings.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
- Knowledge of Dakota County resources and ability to effectively utilize resources to complete tasks and projects.
- Working knowledge of Employee Relations policies and procedures relating to area of assigned responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to operate mainframe and personal computer equipment and software, including Microsoft Office Suite, Front Page, Adobe Acrobat, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is primarily stationary; it is usually accomplished while incumbent is comfortably seated at a desk or table. Items carried typically include objects such as briefcases, notebooks, AV-equipment, and work papers. No special physical effort or ability is required to perform the work.
Work is performed at home, in an open office setting (cubicle), and at other buildings across Dakota County. The position’s office space is located in Hastings, MN in the Dakota County Administrative Center. Traveling to meetings, conferences, and trainings will be periodically required.
Dakota County welcomes and is inclusive of diverse people, backgrounds, and perspectives. The County aims to reflect the community and clients it serves and fosters an equitable and respectful working environment where everyone is empowered to be their authentic selves.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.