Development & Communications Associate Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full Time
Date Written: January 2023
Responsible for leading the Museum in annual giving campaigns, grants, planned gifts and all functions of the development department. Key responsibilities included coordination and execution of an annual fundraising plan to meet goals for philanthropic support of the Holland Museum. Responsible for writing and submitting press releases, e-newsletters, social media, marketing materials, communication, and website updates.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Write and follow a cohesive, obtainable development plan.
- Must have technical and practical knowledge of software and database management.
- Develop, execute, and evaluate an annual fundraising plan to meet budged revenue goals.
- Solicit gifts and sponsorships as appropriate, while supporting the Executive Director’s major donor solicitations.
- Coordinate all fundraising events including logistics, committee recruitment and management.
- Responsible for building and directing the work of the Development Committee.
- Develop reports as needed.
- Manage all donor database functions including data entry, gift recording, acknowledgments, reporting functions and regular data hygiene.
- Demonstrated ability to handle donor interest and personal information in a sensitive and confidential manner.
- Content curator and manager of all communication for the Museum including marketing materials, e-newsletter, print newsletter, annual report, website, and social media.
- Manage the Museum’s membership program.
- Working with other Museum staff to create impactful member openings of exhibits.
- Comfortable managing graphics designer contractor.
- Responsible for building and directing the work of the Marketing and Events Committees.
- Ability to build and maintain media relationships.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Display integrity, solid decision-making abilities and uses sound judgement.
· Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
· Have strong customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse public and workforce.
· Have a strong familiarity with social media and internet communications.
· Organized and able to prioritize workload.
· Creative and collaborative, with analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Understanding of budgeting practices and constraints
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a highly energized, creative, and fun team, as well as independently.
· Willingness to learn, a “can do” mentality with the ability to prioritize continually shifting tasks and meet tight deadlines.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to set and meet realistic goals, establish work priorities, organize people and materials to reach goals, handle pressure, evaluate and report results.
· Hire, train, supervise and evaluate administrator, volunteers, interns, and contractors.
· Commitment to museum best practices as established by the American Alliance of Museums.
· The ability to perform all essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
· Contribute to the advancement of the museum, maintain membership and participation in relevant professional organizations.
· Exhibit skill in establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative work relationships with potential and existing funding sources, peers, board, and senior staff.
· Demonstrated computer proficiency, including an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Suite, /Mac OS, email, the Internet, social media, etc. (Donor Perfect) database software knowledge a plus.
· Ability to work evening and weekend events as necessary.
· Ability to pass a background check.
· Other duties as requested or assigned.
Education and Experience:
· B.A. in relevant field or equivalent work experience
· Background in development, marketing, and public relations
· fundraising and communication efforts.
· Valid driver’s license required.
· Benefits include group health, dental and disability insurance paid holidays, sick and personal days, and flex time.
· Employee discounts are available on purchases in the Museum Store and facility rentals.
Title: Development & Communications Associate Director
Full time: Exempt
Pay Rate: $60-$65,000
Location: Minimum of 3- days based in Holland Museum, 1-2 days may be remote.
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion
The Holland Museum is committed to embracing diversity, practicing equity, and ensuring accessibility and inclusion. We will continually strive to achieve a welcoming environment in all our spaces, where staff, board, and community feel reflected and valued for their unique perspectives and backgrounds.
The Holland Museum is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, family responsibilities, national origin, or veteran status, or any other protected categories under applicable law. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply. At the Holland Museum, you can bring your whole self to work.
Holland Museum’s Mission and Vision
Mission: Preserving our past, Imagining our future
Vision: To be a cultural leader and community collaborator inspiring the next generation of leaders, thinkers, and innovators.