UI Health Care Marketing and Communications is seeking a Communications Coordinator for the employee and executive communications team to support the development and implementation of internal communications. This includes the day-to-day operation of our daily publication Noon News
and online news site The Loop. This person will collaborate with faculty and staff within UI Hospitals & Clinics, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, and UI Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine to create compelling content and advise on the delivery of internal messages. The Communications Coordinator will also work closely with our new intranet team to support informing and engaging employees.
A hybrid work schedule—a combination of remote and on-campus work—is allowable for this position.
Initiate and create
- Write for UI Health Care faculty, staff, patients, and visitors, tailoring the messages and content for a variety of purposes, goals, audiences, and media.
- Interview subject matter experts and accurately research, organize, and interpret information.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Marketing and Communications and other departments to identify good stories and produce content that is timely, relevant, and compelling.
- May assist with strategic communication planning and advise on best practices in support of a project, program, department, or college/unit within UI Health Care.
Edit and publish
- Ensure timely delivery of daily, weekly, and ongoing communications for internal web site (The Loop), daily newsletter (Noon News), digital signage, and other distribution channels.
- Collaborate with the intranet team to design new processes for publishing content to the new intranet to drive employee awareness, understanding, and participation.
- Ensure accuracy of information in final communications. Edit and proofread communications, including the work of internal, student, and freelance writers. Be an advocate for consistent, correct usage of style guidelines, including UI Health Care, UI, and AP style applications.
- Actively look for ways to improve work processes and make practical suggestions. Research best practices on how other communicators have tackled similar problems.
- Seek feedback on communication approaches and effectiveness.
- Provide data for assessment of effectiveness of individual communication efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to write and edit content demonstrated through web pages, published stories, and/or communication plans.
- Understanding of content development for digital platforms like an intranet or other website.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet tight deadlines, multi-task, and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written verbal communication skills
- Strong team collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with Microsoft 365 and Adobe Creative Suites.
- Experience gathering and interpreting data.
- Knowledge and experience with web analytics software (Google Analytics).
- AP style competency.
- Experience with project management or change management.
- Experience in health care, academics, or a large, complex organization.
- At least six months of writing experience is desired.
To be considered, applicants must upload the following and mark each attachment as a “Relevant File” to the submission.
- Cover letter
- One writing sample highlighting the audience and goal of the piece
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. For questions, contact Sharon Walther at email@example.com.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Communications Coordinator
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Sharon Walther
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org