Are you looking for an internship where you carry a lot of coffee, spend your days making copies and don’t get to use the education you’ve worked so hard to receive? Then stop reading and look elsewhere. The Town of Frederick has an incredible internship opportunity open for a go-getter who is motivated, organized, creative and excited to learn more about real-world marketing, event planning, project management, PR, graphic design and much more. At the end of this internship, you’ll have a full resume as well as quality experience to draw from in interviews as you begin your career. As the Communications & Engagement Intern, you will fully manage market vendors for each signauture event. The skills you will gain from this are event and vendor management, contract execution, coordinating volunteers, project management, and determining event layout. You will also be responsible for creating and following through with a marketing plan. From social media posts to writing press releases, to placing advertisements, you will put your marketing ideas to work and track the results. The internship will start in as soon as possible (we’re flexible with school hours) and work part-time through September (20 hours per week during summer, and adjusted once school starts for fall semester). Working some Friday nights and at least three Saturdays for signature events will be required. This internship pays a $16/hour plus internship credit based on your school’s requirements. Other Duties
Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Training
- Assist Communications & Engagement department with planning and execution of events such as Frederick in Flight,Chainsaws & Chuckwagons, and Miners Day.
- Responsible for assisting in the development, layout, and design of various promotional materials, using Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and InDesign.
- Write news releases, web copy, media pitches, and social media updates.
- Assist the Communications and Engagement Specialist to solicit event sponsorships and donations for events and ensure sponsorship benefits are carried out.
- Model teamwork, collaboration and organizational values in developing and sustaining strong working bonds with volunteers, vendors, staff and other stakeholders, creating effective working relationships.
- Assist the department by writing content for weekly e-newsletter, monthly newsletter, and social media posts.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be available May through September.
- Must be pursuing education in Marketing, Communications, Business or related study.
- Must be comfortable supervising vendor interaction and being the primary decision-maker for market related issues.
- Must be a creative and enthusiastic team player with a positive and self-starter attitude!