Avenues for Youth provides emergency shelter, transitional housing, rapid re-housing, collective housing, and host homes housing for youth and young families experiencing housing instability and homelessness. We strive to do that in a safe and nurturing environment through a social justice lens. Avenues takes into account historical trauma, systems of oppression and intersectionality while being grounded in the power of resiliency, healing, and community.
The Communications Manager will design and implement marketing and communications plan in coordination with the Associate Director of Development and Communications and priorities set forth in the organization’s strategic plan and that align with Community-Centric Fundraising Principles. This role will increase engagement with audiences and build awareness of the organization’s mission, vision, programs, and achievements. The primary outcome of this position is to ensure that Avenues has a strong reputation that leads to increasing community investments in the organization and the youth it supports. The Communications Manager is a key member of the Development and Communications team and oversees work with contracts including the videographer and social media specialist.Primary Duties And Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.Organization Communications
Annual Fund and Capacity Campaign
- Implement and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan that supports the organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Create content and act as the lead writer for Avenues using creative styles, designs, and approaches.
- Ensure consistency of message, branding, and alliance with style guidelines in all internal and external communications of the organization.
- Will provide leadership and act as the brand ambassador for the organization across audiences internal and external.
- Manage and oversee the organization’s website in coordination with the web developer and support staff/consultants.
- Track, measure, and analyze relevant communications data and online engagement metrics.
- Manage and oversee a robust online presence, including website, e-newsletter, and social media, including ads and other strategies to increase social media following and engagement.
- Create and ensure the production of high-quality print and digital materials, including newsletters, brochures, invitations, and the annual report.
- Create compelling graphic design elements for program materials, social media, e-newsletters, and donor communications.
- Support a media relations strategy that includes producing and distributing press releases, as well as a timely response to media inquiries and serving as the main point of contact to identify and connect relevant spokespersons within Avenues.
- Design and execute collateral for all event-related marketing and communications.
- Support program needs for strategic marketing and communications.
- Ensure appropriate agency response to public inquiries for information and involvement.
- Coordinate with and manage vendor relationships.
- Develop and update communication related policies.
- Manage crisis communication response in coordination Marketing and Development team.
- Coordinates with the Director of Development to create the annual budget for communications, and track expenses toward this budget.
- Create the communications plan with content calendar by working in coordination with the associate director of development.
- Coordinate case statement collection and messaging by working with Avenues staff.
- Create compelling graphics and images aligned with style guidelines.
- Coordinate with the team to create assets and content supporting donor stewardship.
- Support communication needs for the upcoming Capacity Campaign to include case statement messaging, press releases, brochures letter templates, etc.
- Support communications work of the capacity campaign in coordination with communications consultants, pro-bono experts, and vendors as the Capacity Campaign develops.
- Analyze results to assist with audience segmentation, assess progress toward key performance indicators, and identify potential media opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field and at least three years of related work experience, including in nonprofit communications and development, or
- 7 years direct experience.
- Experience in writing appeals, managing print-based marketing and communications, graphic design, events management, cause marketing, and public relations.
- Experience with e-communications (social media, website, e- newsletters, e-blasts, blogs, etc.).
- Must have and maintain a valid Minnesota Driver’s License, maintain automobile coverage, and have access to an automobile.
- Skilled in using donor databases and donor giving platforms.
- Proficient in WordPress, Microsoft Word Suite, social media, and Adobe Creative Suite.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, twist, kneel, and communicate. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
In response to the COVID‐19 Pandemic, Avenues for Youth has worked diligently to establish strong health and safety protocols for our community. This position is typically a face-to-face, in-person role. Currently many job duties can be fulfilled by phone or video-assisted technology, but some situations will require in-person meetings. Any interactions that require in-person contact will involve the use of social distancing and personal protective equipment.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We embrace diversity, foster inclusion, and do our work through an equitable lens. Persons of color, women, members of the LGBTQI community, veterans, other minorities, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.Compensation And Benefits
$55,000 to $60,000 per year, depending on qualifications.
Avenues approaches staff well-being from a holistic perspective which includes our compensation and benefits program, employee assistance resources, and staff appreciation. We recently increased wages for staff in order to keep us competitive in the marketplace as well as in keeping with our commitment to provide living equitable wages. Avenues pays 85% of health insurance costs, as well as full dental, life, AD&D, short term and long term disability. Along with a generous paid-time-off policy, we recognize 8 holidays including a floating holiday for staff to use. In addition to providing an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), we offer participation in a 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan. Finally, we demonstrate appreciation for our staff through annual celebrations, year-end bonuses, and team-building activities.
Job Title: Communications Manager
Primary Location: Minneapolis Avenues
Reports To: Associate of Director of Development & Communications
Employment Status: Salary Exempt Benefit Eligible
Core Schedule: 40 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends
Salary range: $55,000-$60,000 annual salary