Are you interested in writing and communications? Do you want to support a social enterprise increasing access to clear vision for millions of people in low-income settings around the world? Are you looking for a substantive, resume-boosting internship?
VisionSpring, an international social enterprise, seeks a Communications Intern to work remotely. This individual will help support our external communications, internal newsletter, and scaling our social media reach. This position reports directly to the Global Director of Marketing & Communications.
The Internship will be for summer and fall 2023 with the possibility of extending through winter break and spring 2024.About You
- You are curious about philanthropy, social development, and building your communications and writing skills with a global team.
- Diligence is your middle name. You have great follow through, are deliverable and deadline oriented, and have an eye for detail.
- You find it easy to put your thoughts into words, peers turn to you for editing support, and you love the art of story-telling.
- You’re a team-player, ready to work alongside a vibrant global team.
- You’re up to taking on new responsibilities and challenges as your role evolves with your personal and professional growth.
What You’ll Do
- We are creating affordable access to eyeglasses, everywhere. Clear vision creates opportunities for increased learning, work, safety, civic participation, and quality of life.
- As a social enterprise, social change motivates us. Our focus on sales and revenue targets serves and advances our mission – to increase functioning, productivity, and income-earning potential for low-income consumers through the correction of refractive error with eyeglasses.
- We are working to transform the systemic dysfunction of the optical market, which has failed to deliver eyeglasses, a 700-year-old technology, to a billion consumers in need of vision correction, most earning less than $4 a day.
- We serve low-income consumers not as beneficiaries but as customers. Our customers expect a high quality and affordable product and will spend a limited discretionary income for the immediate and tangible benefits of vision correction.
- By selling eyeglasses, we awaken new demand and seed a viable market. By selling new eyeglasses we are able to serve four times more people per dollar input than the alternative of donating recycled ones. To efficiently scale, we must deliver each new unit with less cost.
- We believe in scaling our impact, not our organization. We are a lean team of doers.
- Manage VisionSpring’s weekly in-house newsletter – InFocus. This involves sourcing content from global field teams, crafting and editing stories, and staying up to date on relevant organizational information.
- Write and edit content on behalf of fellow team members and leaders, such as memos, job descriptions, welcome messages, and bios.
- Provide copyediting support and design feedback.
- Craft internal and external email blasts for organizational milestones, industry holidays, and upcoming events.
- Develop and write content for social media, including overseeing image and graphic design for social posts.
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from a graduate or undergraduate program.
- Demonstrated interest in social enterprise, international development, global health, livelihoods, education, and/or road safety.
- Experience with communications, editing, writing, or related areas is preferred.
- Desirable skills or prior experience with: Microsoft Office Suite, Constant Contact, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, graphic design, and/or multi-media.
- A commitment of 20 hours a week with availability to work early mornings and late evenings.
- Currently authorized to work in the U.S. and based in an Eastern or Central time zone.
- Availability of internship: summer and fall 2023 with the possibility of extending through winter break and spring 2024.
$1,500 ($18.75/hr.) monthly stipend for 20 hr/week internship and there is a possibility for a full-time 40 hr/week internship with a $3,000 ($18.75/hr.) stipend.
Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
VisionSpring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.