The Crime Report is seeking a part-time reporter to join our editorial team and cover news, research and legislative developments within the U.S. criminal justice system.
- Generate story ideas and gather information on breaking and developing news.
- Research, edit and report news for The Crime Report and TCR’s Justice Digest newsletter.
- Conduct interviews with academics, authors and other experts in the criminal justice space.
- Contribute to editorial multi-reporter projects.
- Associate, Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Journalism, Justice and Law, or related subjects preferred.
- Some prior newsroom experience, either through academic work, student-run publications, internships or previous work experience in a reporting role.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of criminal justice issues and a curiosity to learn more.
- Ability to conduct both research and interviews to draft solid reporting, both for breaking news and feature reporting work.
Don’t perfectly fit the above? Apply anyway, and tell us why you think you’d be a good fit for our team.
This part-time position will pay between $20-23/hour. This position is expected to be remote, with the option to work from and meet at our office in New York.
Applicants can email their resume, cover letter and at least three reporting clips or writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be Reporter Application - [Your Name].
The Crime Report (TCR) is a non-profit news service covering criminal justice in the U.S. and abroad. TCR is published by the Center on Media, Crime and Justice at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.