We're hiring a temporary Senior Editor for our Well and Parenting verticals on our Editorial team.About Our Team And What We'll Build Together
We're looking for an experienced Senior Editor for a five-month period to oversee operations, strategy, and content creation for its Well and Parenting newsletters and verticals. This is a managerial position, and candidates must be comfortable overseeing two teams and a rigorous publishing process.
Our editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from a variety of media backgrounds, and we understand how to create high quality journalism in theSkimm's distinct voice. In this role, you'll lead two teams of writers and editors to produce newsletters and web content across two high-growth verticals.This is a short-term, contract position to cover an employee's parental leave from Mid-May through Mid-October 2023.
How You'll Contribute To Our Mission
You're ready for this! Here's a bit more about what we're looking for
- Lead the production of two Skimm newsletters, which includes brainstorming, researching, writing, editing, fact-checking, and publishing
- Ideate and executing on creative new ways to deliver content and engage this newsletter's audience
- Manage two small teams of writers and editors
- Collaborate with other content teams to share learnings and resources
- Assist with other editorial products such as web articles and campaigns
- Work on special projects and/or long-form content
The expected annual base salary for this role is $8,000-$9,000 per month. We'll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate's skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
- A minimum of 6-8 years of lifestyle editorial experience, including health and parenting content
- 4+ years of digital experience
- Strong editorial judgment and robust experience with fact-checking and reporting best practices
- Ability to self-motivate and be a team player across multiple departments
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Experience publishing through a CMS
- Strong familiarity with SEO best practices
- Excitement about theSkimm and its mission
- The ability to be a self-starter and a team player
- A few things that will set you apart:
Our story, Skimm'd
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Every day we're breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, "9 to 5ish with theSkimm" podcast, theSkimm mobile app, and Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life
debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred more than one million voting-related actions across the last three election cycles, and its #ShowUsYourLeave movement, creating transparency and change for Paid Family Leave in the U.S.
Come join us!Learn More About Us And Our Other Opportunities Here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We have a hybrid environment and ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open.
We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York and will adjust this plan accordingly.
- Any correspondence from our team will come from a @theskimm.com email account!
Natural persons who reside in the State of California should review the Notice to California Residents (Job Applicants). You may have additional rights under California law.