Director of Marketing, Communications & Media Relations
The American Association of Suicidology (AAS) Director of Marketing and Communications develops and implements strategies that elevate the visibility and credibility of the research, training and public health policy of suicide awareness and prevention while establishing AAS as the expert voice of the industry. This position is responsible for creating and capitalizing on promotional opportunities that raise awareness, strengthen credibility, and enhance the visibility of the work in suicidology and of the association. The responsible individual oversees AAS’s public relations and branding initiatives across all external communication channels, member benefits and resources, policy communications and conferences and events. This position is responsible for creating and maintaining a strategic marketing and communications plan that supports our mission, vision, and values.
Marketing: This position leads the marketing efforts supporting the entire AAS enterprise. Among the incumbent’s responsibilities is the marketing of our Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior Journal, public policy work, training programs, accreditations, research, annual conference, education, research and national donation campaigns.
Communications: This position develops, implements, and manages a comprehensive strategy that aligns all public-facing communications and marketing to complement AAS’s strategic plan, including:
· Serves as the primary contact for all AAS media inquiries. Coordinates AAS’s responses to media inquiries, produces and distributes news releases and op-eds, arranges interviews with subject matter experts, develops strategies to enhance AAS’s visibility, and manages the work of any outside public relations, marketing, web, and graphic design contractors.
· Serves as the lead editor for all internal and external communications produced by AAS, including proofreading, and ensuring the use of appropriate and consistent language and preferred terminology (including social media, member engagement and various other items). Ensures all official communications conform with AAS’s branding standards and editorial guidelines, and all copy are in compliance with the Associated Press Stylebook.
· Serves as a communication thought leader for the organization. Stays up to date on communication activities and formats within the industry and makes recommendations to improve communication penetration within the membership and strategic partner pool.
· Develops strategic communication plans in support of AAS conferences and events, as well as the release of AAS reports, publications, blog posts, training and certification course offerings, research work products and webinars to maximize awareness, avoid overcommunication and dilution of messages to members and the general public.
· Directs and manages the strategy for dissemination of information through AAS’s social media platforms, ensuring strict compliance with AAS’s social media policy. Identify new social media platforms and opportunities to reach a wider and more diverse demographic.
· Creates, implements, and manages communication strategies (in coordination with the internal marketing position) to elevate and support public awareness of AAS conferences and promote Procurement U course offerings to both internal and external audiences.
· Oversees the development of all promotional items and materials and ensures compliance with AAS’s branding standards. Works closely with all media production managers to develop questions for on-camera interviews and scripts for video messages.
·Provides guidance in the design, organization, and content of the AAS.org website to ensure compliance with AAS branding standards and style guidelines.
· Coordinates and develops speeches, presentations, scripts, and other internal and external communications to enhance the visibility of the public procurement profession and AAS.
· Provides support and guidance to the public relations function.
· Develops the content and oversees the production and editorial calendar for the subscribed monthly AAS newsletter.
· Writes, edits, and oversees the design, production, and release of AAS’s Annual Report.
· Writes and/or edits AAS brochures and printed promotional materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions of the Marketing and Communications Director include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and implement an annual and long-term marketing and communications strategy in support of organizational objectives.
- Develop and oversee promotional activities and support AAS’s Program Department.
- Develop and promote donation marketing tools for use by consumers across the globe to support the work of AAS.
- Collaborate and coordinate promotional activities in conjunction with AAS staff; including developing targeted marketing materials for conferences and trade shows attended by AAS staff.
- Increase the AAS brand awareness in all media (print and digital), including the development of social media campaigns, as well as routine and targeted posting to Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Identify print and digital marketing channels.
- Create marketing advertisements, including coordination of content development and graphic design, negotiate rates and contract terms with the advice and support of General Counsel and the Chief Executive Officer, and coordinate publishing activities.
- Coordinate marketing communications with AAS staff in the development and distribution of all marketing collateral.
- Coordinate and support ongoing market research and planning, including research/analytics.
- Support marketing efforts for other AAS divisions as directed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Coordinate and manage public relations to brand the organization as the leader in the field of suicidology.
- Work strategically with the AAS CEO and staff to refine and improve the website and promote SEO.
- Direct and implement AAS’s advertising and promotional activities.
- Analyze target market information to identify and recommend effective marketing approaches.
- Identify new market segments that will benefit from AAS products and services.
- Prepare effective advertising campaigns based on market research.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging products and services.
- Collaborate with senior AAS staff and members to develop growth plans for the organization.
- Forecast drafts, implement, and oversee the Marketing and Communications budget.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related discipline OR equivalent experience.
·Non profit experience preferred; management experience
· Advanced degree in marketing, communications, or related field with at least 7 years of experience
· Significant experience working in or with the public sector, association, engagement, and branding
· Knowledge of association work in public policy arena preferred
· Experience with graphic design, including proficiency in various software platforms
- Expertise in SEO (e.g., website analysis, keyword optimization, content generation, search engine parameters, IT)
Job Type: Full-time
- Retirement plan
- Health, Dental & Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
Work Location: Remote
Approximate travel time: minimal trips per year to various locations throughout the US or abroad for conferences, tradeshows, and other meetings, with most trips ranging from 2 - 3 days in duration except for the AAS Annual Conference. Must have valid passport or able to acquire.