Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM)
Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
Office of External Relations
Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) seeks a visionary marketing professional who serves a key leadership role for the organization.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for developing and implementing the short and long-term marketing & communication vision for PCOM (and strategic partner’s) brand, which promotes its unique position in society and in the marketplace. Responsibilities include planning, developing, and implementing all Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) marketing strategies and marketing communications, both external and internal, including the annual Baltimore Pride Festival and organizational events. Oversees development and implementation of support materials and services in the area of marketing and communications. Directs the efforts of the marketing and communications for PCOM, strategic partnerships, and outreach and recruitment materials for staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the organization's other functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications
1. Reflect, articulate, and promote the mission, vision, and identity of the Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM).
2. Responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing and communications program that will enhance the Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) image and position within the marketplace and the general public and facilitate internal and external communications.
3. Manage the strategic and creative design of Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) marketing and communications activities and materials including:
§ Membership/Enrollment Management
§ Website, Social Media, video production,
§ Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM) Online
§ Wellness Department
§ Institutional Advancement
§ Conference Services
§ Media Relations
§ CEO’s Office
4. Ensure articulation of Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM)’s desired image and position, consistent communication of image and position throughout the organization, and communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external. Uphold protocol to ensure a uniform “house style” (uniform fonts, logos, pictures).
5. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all PCOM publications, including a monthly newsletter.
6. Coordinate media interest in PCOM and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
7. Coordinate the appearance of all Organization print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
8. Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, technical assistance, and resource materials to assist various departments in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
9. Ensure that PCOM regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinates and oversees this activity. Monitor trends.
10. Leads special projects as assigned, such as special events, re-branding/logo development, and capital campaign communications plan.
11. Collaborates with CEO on PCOM social justice and social determinants of health-related campaigns and Op-Eds.
Planning and Budgeting
1. Responsible for achieving marketing and communications mission, goals, and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems, including benchmarks, are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the CEO.
2. Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing and communications program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
3. Recommend short- and long-term PCOM goals and objectives to the CEO and Senior Leadership Team.
4. Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the marketing and communications function.
5. Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing and communications, not-for-profit management and governance, and the specific business of PCOM, and use this information to help the organization operate with initiative, cultural consideration, and innovation.
1. Support the CEO, public affairs, and marketing and writing activities.
2. Work with various staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective -- based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction -- in organizational direction, program and services, and decision-making; and ensure the overall health and vitality of PCOM.
3. Help ensure that the Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM)’s mission and vision are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization.
4. Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from PCOM’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the organization’s relevance.
5. Help formulate and administer policies to ensure the integrity of PCOM.
6. Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
7. Oversees communications and branding in various online and print platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and industry magazines.
8. When assigned, can act as PCOM spokesperson and responds to members of the media in a timely manner; composes and distributes press releases as needed.
9. Develops and maintains a positive professional relationship with various members of the media.
10. Assists CEO and other Senior leadership in developing presentations, speeches, and other important corporate messages.
11. Provides suggestions concerning graphics, clarity, distribution, and press releases for preparing the PCOM annual report.
12. Develops, implements, and adheres to communications budget.
13. Develops, composes, distributes, and implements policies to enhance the communications department's efficiency and further develop the building and maintenance of a positive corporate brand.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Organized with attention to detail.
Superior ability to write in a journalistic style that is customary for corporate and external publications.
Ability to offer sound media relations advice to senior leadership.
Excellent managerial and organizational abilities.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Ability to work with corporate management, employees, media, and the larger community.
Ability to coordinate efforts of various teams in order to present a coherent message.
Education and Experience:
14. Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field.
15. Multiple years of experience in public relations, including supervisory and comprehensive marketing experience, are required.
1. Understands, appreciates, and articulates the mission of the Pride Center of Maryland (PCOM); and has a desire and ability to work collaboratively with varied constituencies, including the CEO, division heads, consultants, and program staff.
2. Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications activities.
3. Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal sales skills.
4. Experience developing and managing budgets and hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel.
5. Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, website management, and social media content creation and management.
6. Computer literacy in word processing, database management, and page layout, including experience with Adobe Creative Suites and MS Office products, and other general-purpose tools (Acrobat, FTP, multiple Internet browsers, etc.)
7. Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
8. Ability to blend attractive design and high functionality in all projects.
9. Must be able to receive constructive criticism well.
10. Strong oral and written communication skills.
11. Ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously.
1. Minimum four years of experience in marketing, communications, or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
2. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, and/or public relations preferred. A graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
3. Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
4. Be willing to take advantage of professional learning opportunities to increase her or his knowledge and skill base.
Salary and benefits commiserate with education and experience.
Reports to: CEO
Status: Full-time equivalent contractor