Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers
bringing our characters to life, the creators
bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers
creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
This is a role for a climate-minded writer who wants to be at the center of the biggest weather stories of the day. This journalist is a best-in-class writer who thrives on the pace of deadline news and has expertise in weather and climate science. You will cover extreme weather in real time as a part of CNN’s Climate team. The ideal candidate is a strong, weather-obsessed writer with top-notch news judgment. This writer would help build on the success of CNN Climate’s high-importance, high-interest digital coverage and would leverage the unparalleled expertise of CNN Weather to prioritize breaking weather news while also searching for stories that help illuminate and personalize the climate crisis — a story that touches all of CNN’s audiences and all of our journalistic beats.
- When a significant extreme-weather story breaks, you’ll work in conjunction with the CNN Weather team to update coverage for CNN’s digital platforms.
- You’ll collaborate with CNN Weather meteorologists to gather editorial and build coverage for all platforms for major extreme weather events.
- You’ll report and write urgent, rapidly updating digital coverage of hurricanes, tornado outbreaks, severe ice storms, life-threatening floods and more.
- This writer will also shape secondary story ideas and angles around the weather story of the moment, whether it’s an expansion of the drought in the American West or a deadly “monsoon on steroids” that slams South Asia.
- You’ll work with Visuals to help our audiences understand the impact of extreme weather and climate change through data-rich graphics, photos and video.
- A critical component of the job will be assisting with the live stories that are an essential part of CNN’s breaking news coverage.
- You will also support the weather team’s widely read newsletter, CNN Weather Brief.
- You must care deeply about accuracy, urgency and integrity and in maintaining and growing the trust CNN has with audiences worldwide.
- CNN's writers are skillful and swift. They turn in clean, crisp copy on the first draft.
- This person knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed but can also handle high-concept stories off the news.
- This person must be skilled at finding ways to cover the news of the day in distinctive ways that resonate with audiences.
- A degree in meteorology, climate science or a related science field.
- At least 3 years of digital editorial experience in the extreme weather or climate space.
- Experience covering fast-moving breaking news.
- Ability to frame stories for national and global audiences.
- Your great ideas: A newsroom is only as strong as the stories its journalists find and pitch. We want your absolute best.
- Willingness to work outside the regular 9 to 5 during major weather events.
- Warner Bros. Discovery requires anyone working in our workplaces in the U.S. to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. $64,890.00 - $120,510.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.