Market Umbrella, Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Part time, 20 hours per week
Salary range: Minimum $20 per hour starting pay
Market Umbrella is a 27-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers
Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a
robust array of fresh food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways
and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and
provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local
foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates three weekly farmers markets in the New
Orleans area, hosting over 70 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than
100,000 shoppers annually. In addition, Market Umbrella offers a weekly home delivery produce
box, a variety of SNAP education and nutrition education programs, and several food access
programs including Market Mommas Club and Market Match, and launched the statewide
Market Match program, Greaux the Good in 2022.
General Position Description:
The Communications Coordinator is a part-time staff member responsible for managing the
public-facing communications of Market Umbrella and supports internal communications to that
end. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Development &
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
90% Provide Communications support for the organization
● Compile and write weekly Morsel newsletter and other additional communications as
needed, (e.g. home delivery box inserts, press releases, etc.). Ensure collateral is sent
out in an efficient and timely manner.
● Serves as administrator for the organization's email marketing software account.
● Spearhead social media development and posting schedule
● Assist in development and implementation of annual organizational marketing plan and
annual report with the Development & Communications Director.
● Organize and maintain the organization's photo library.
● Regularly visit markets to take photos of in-market activity for the organization’s photo
● Spearhead the design development of promotional materials such as social media
content, posters, flyers, etc. using Canva or similar design software
● Provide support to the Development & Communications Director for fundraising event
coordination and execution, including merchandise design and promotion
● Manage inventory of promotional materials, spearhead the design and sales forecasting
of these materials.
● Generate reports on social media engagement, website traffic, and other
● Proofreading, copy editing, and designing organizational documents.
● Recruit/onboard and manage communications interns/projects
10% Other duties as assigned
At least two years relevant work experience in communications/marketing, or other related field
Strong sense of accountability for work
Self directed, self starter, with the ability to work independently and effectively set project
Self starter, effective at task switching and meeting deadlines for multiple projects
Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
Demonstrated efficacy in a professional communications role
Proficient with Constant Contact, Instagram, Facebook, Canva
Familiarity with Salesforce database a plus
Basic HTML programming language experience a plus
Experienced with working with a wide variety of people in a professional context
Spanish and/or Vietnamese language proficiency is a plus
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
Writing sample and design sample required
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal
employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national
origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.