The Houston Landing is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to advance democracy in our communities and strengthen the lives of all Houstonians one story at a time. The Landing is an independent, nonprofit digital news operation that will cover a broad range of topics serving the Greater Houston community. At the Landing, we are expanding our newsroom team to include a talented and empathetic photojournalist passionate about visual storytelling and public service journalism. The Landing’s visual journalists are seeking to craft stories that are impactful, accurate and compelling while always demonstrating empathy and respect for the community.
What you’ll do:
- You will focus primarily on local Houston-area news, working on a wide range of stories including hard-hitting investigations, traditional articles, narratives and columns.
- You will photograph and edit still photography and video and be able to recognize urgent news stories.
- Produce compelling and impactful visuals (stills and video) that can stand alone in journalistic value as well as complement news articles and other editorial content for Houston Landing.
- Be equipped and willing to utilize innovative and inclusive coverage techniques for our news site, newsletter and social media platforms. Being licensed for drone piloting will be a plus.
- Be able to respond to news coverage urgently, including occasionally working weekends and holidays.
- You have the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time. The photojournalist will closely work with a photo editor and other members of the newsroom.
- Ensure all photography and videography equipment is in good working condition and follow appropriate safety protocols.
Who you are:
- You have a bachelor's degree in journalism, photography, or related fields.
- You have at least three years of experience in photojournalism, preferably but not required in a newsroom environment.
- Proficiency in Photo Mechanic, Adobe Premier, and other relevant software for photography, video editing and captioning.
- You have a flexible attitude that allows you to thrive at a digital startup and think creatively.
- You are a curious, organized person who is always on the lookout for good story ideas and who knows how to stay on task to make those stories a reality.
- You have ethical integrity and are proficient in AP style caption writing.
- Competency in another language besides English is a major plus.
- You are committed to our mission of finding a new path for quality journalism.
- You have a collaborative spirit, strong communication skills and a willingness to listen to diverse perspectives.
- You’re committed to accuracy and meeting deadlines.
- With your resume, please, include the URL to a portfolio of your work.
EXCELLENCE: We wake up every day with the intent to be the best at what we do. We hustle. We have grit. When we make mistakes, we’ll learn from them.
INCLUSION: We aren’t all the same, and those differences are what make us better. We’ll respect each person’s uniqueness. Perspective, context and life experiences help us to tell the story.
AMBITION: We will be bold and creative, open to all ideas big or small. We really mean it.
FUN: We are not making widgets, although there is nothing wrong with widgets. We tell stories and stories are often fun, so we believe in having lots of fun.
COLLABORATION: We are all in this together. We may not always agree, but we will listen to each other and communicate candidly and respectfully.Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Healthcare 100% premium paid for employee and 50% for dependents
- 20 vacation days
- Ten sick days
- Generous paid parental leave
- Hybrid work policy (initially we all work together to build culture)
- Stipend for development / learning
We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.