Front Office Sports is a place where people come to do their best work. Those who succeed here lean into the idea that FOS can be a place where they can build an unmatched career, whether by elevating themselves within the company, accelerating their career exponentially, or taking on outsized roles elsewhere.
We are a multi-platform media brand built for the modern sports consumer. Front Office Sports reaches an influential and rapidly expanding audience of over 20M people per month across our core suite of products which include - newsletters, podcasts, social channels, courses, branded content, live events, and awards.
We are building the next generation of the business of sports, and we’ve got big plans. We are looking for elite talent to create this new world in sports media.
About the Role
Front Office Sports is looking for a freelance breaking news writer to produce daily news stories. The ideal candidate should either have a background covering breaking business news, as well as experience with cross-platform content creation. We are looking for writers with a deep passion for covering the impact of sports on wide-ranging topics that include business deals, retail, crypto, media, real estate, and more. If you are a news junkie and enjoy covering the power and influence sports have on business and culture, this job is for you!
- Closely monitor the latest business and sports news and find fresh angles and trends impacting players, teams, leagues, fans, and brands across a wide swath of topics such as deals, gaming, markets, media, real estate, technology, and more.
- Produce at least 5 news stories/articles daily for the Front Office Sports website
- Attend daily news meetings to discuss story ideation and line-ups
- Report to the Senior News Editor and you will pitch and accept story assignments to be written on the deadline
- Deliver clean, clear-sighted copy while rigorously adhering to a daily deadline
- Desire to engage on social media to promote your work, the work of colleagues, and the broader FOS brand.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and share information
Ideal Skills and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of writing experience in business/sports media with strong writing skills
- Experience working in a breaking news environment
- Experience with research and fact-checking with to detail and creative, strategic thinking
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multi-task and collaborate
- Knowledge of social media platforms and engagement strategies
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to help continue to build something new and fresh
- Ability to carry over any existing relationships with sources at teams, leagues, agencies, athletes, and other sports figures
In 2021, Front Office Sports was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and in 2022, named ‘Hottest in Sports’ in AdWeek’s Hot List.
Our culture is built on ambition and teamwork and our core values guide us day in and day out. We welcome and encourage the grind and unrelenting perseverance that originated this start-up.
- Efficient Excellence - The skill and agility it takes to execute an excellent process with ease.
- Ambitious Adaptability - The drive and desire to go with the flow and grind.
- Passionate Ownership - Bringing that undying dedication to your work every day, to reach new levels.
- Trailblazing Innovation - We don’t just find a way, we find ours and make it the best way.
- Consistent Quality - Do what we do well, day in and day out.
Applications for this position will be accepted on a rolling basis and the position will remain posted until filled. To apply please send your resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Breaking News Writer” in the subject line.
Our team will review your experience and we will touch base with you should we decide to move forward in regard to any potential next steps.