DIY Girls’ mission is to increase girls' interest and long-term success in technology, engineering and making through innovative educational experiences and mentor relationships. DIY Girls develops and implements STEAM-based educational programs and workshops designed to promote girls’ engagement and exploration with technology, encourage self-confidence and support aspiration to technical careers.
Position Summary: The Development & Communications Associate will support the Development & Communications Department in achieving our fund development, PR, marketing, and communications goals. This position is responsible for managing development and communications administrative tasks that will support the execution of our annual scheduled events, fundraisers, and campaigns.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt entry level position. Salary: $48,000-$52,000, dependent on experience. Benefits include: Vacation Time; Sick Time; Personal Time; Parental Leave; Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance; 401(k); 13 paid holidays. This position will report to the Development Manager and the Marketing & Communications Manager. This position is currently a hybrid position (remote and in-person) during the weekdays and occasional evening and weekend events. The office is temporarily located in Burbank with plans to relocate to San Fernando (Northeast San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles) in April 2023, with some travel to school and partner sites.
The key tasks and areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain grant and revenue tracker databases, development calendar, and development contact list
- Assist with the grants process by preparing grant proposals for submission, uploading grant applications to grant portals, and completing acknowledgement letters
- Assist in writing letters of intent and grant proposals as needed
- Help prepare and submit funder reports as needed
- Help conduct prospect research and identify new funding opportunities
- Attend networking events and participate in local community events as needed
- Prepare and distribute acknowledgement letters for individual donors
- Maintain individual donor database including adding individual and company match donations
- Download giving platform (i.e. Benevity) reports as needed
- Schedule all development meetings, including funder site visits
- Provide administrative support for annual gala as well as other fundraising campaigns and events
- Help request lower level event sponsorships and program advertisements, and maintain the sponsorship database
- Assist by requesting items for the gala silent auction and maintaining the silent auction database
- Draft notes during gala and board fundraising committee meetings
- Prepare development items for monthly board update and quarterly board packet
- Help with donor mailings, such as end of year appeal letters and holiday cards
- Other duties as assigned with focus on development
Marketing & Communications (50%)
- Assist with DIY Girls’ social media accounts, including drafting social media posts, responding to general inquiries, and posting to all social media platforms
- Maintain e-newsletter and PR/Media lists and enter supporters into Mailchimp
- Assist in maintaining and updating website
- Prepare social media and e-newsletter reports, using analytic tools to gauge the success of campaigns
- Assist in publishing and sharing engaging communications content about our programs, events, giving campaigns, and emerging STEM news
- Assist in preparing media and press inquiries
- Organize and maintain our photo database
- Other duties as assigned with focus on marketing and communications
- Experience with utilizing multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram/IG Stories, Snapchat, and LinkedIn) in organizational settings
- Experience with a website management program such as Squarespace and WordPress and an email marketing platform such as MailChimp preferred
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable speaking to funders, partners, and attending networking events as needed
- Independent, results-oriented, self-starter
- Commitment to serving high-need communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Background and/or experience in development, communications or related fields preferred
- Must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 15-20 pounds at times
As part of the efforts of the Los Angeles Unified School District (District) to provide the safest possible environment in which to learn and work, all district employees, partners, vendors and other adults who provide services on district property, or directly to district students, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All DIY Girls employees who will be working at any LAUSD site must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 per LAUSD’s guidelines.
To Apply: Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development & Communications Associate”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
DIY Girls is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of DIY Girls to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.