The Alliance for Securing Democracy at GMF (ASD at GMF) is a nonpartisan, transatlantic initiative that develops comprehensive strategies to defend against, deter, and raise the costs on Russia and other authoritarian actors’ efforts to undermine democracy and democratic institutions. The Alliance works to publicly document and expose authoritarian actors’ ongoing efforts to subvert democracy in the United States and Europe.Job Summary
This person serves as a communications coordinator and supports ASD at GMF by managing its digital presence and leading digital strategy, coordinating the website and editorial process, formatting reports, tracking communications output, and creating digital content. The person will also work closely with GMF’s press officers to help coordinate ASD’s report/product rollouts. The role will not interface directly with media or be on the record. This person’s primary responsibility is to support ASD at GMF communications and will work closely with the GMF communications team. The communications coordinator contributes to ASD at GMF’s outward facing messaging by running its social media channels and contributing the weekly newsletter.Essential Duties/Responsibilities
Knowledge And Skills Needed
- Manage ASD at GMF’s Twitter and Facebook accounts, which includes developing and executing social media campaigns across platforms, creating social media toolkits for external use, analyzing social media analytics to inform strategy, and creating content. All of this will be done in close coordination and collaboration with GMF’s digital communications team.
- Mange ASD at GMF’s editorial process in consultation with the GMF editorial team for everything from a blog post to a large report, including proofreading and formatting in InDesign.
- Manage ASD at GMF’s website and serve as point person for website integration with GMF.
- Co-author and copyedit the ASD at GMF weekly newsletter for wide distribution.
- Coordinate with GMF communications team on social media campaigns, newsletter best practices, editorial timelines, etc.
- Utilize design skills to create content for social media channels and info graphics and to format reports.
- Assist with events and media report/product rollouts as needed.
- Be an integral part of GMF’s communications team.
- Excellent communications writing and editing skills with a keen ability to distill policy ideas into language appropriate for social media and for the purposes of storytelling.
- Proven working experience in social media management and growing online audiences; Familiarity with social media management tools (Sprout Social a plus).
- Demonstrates a strong ability to create and implement social content strategy to engage and grow online communities using data, analytics, and audience metrics, particularly Sprout’s analytics tools and Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of basic principles of web layout and design, HTML, content management systems, Drupal, and other web platforms, such as WordPress. Experience with Drupal preferred.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage communications and workflow across time zones.
- Strong interest in current events and autocratic threats to democracy.
- Strong attention to detail, organized, and task oriented.
- Experience copyediting and a high standard of excellence for public facing publications.
- Experience in graphic design for social media and publications. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suites (particularly Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro).
- Experience with paid social media promotion.
- Short form video editing is a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in journalism, international relations, communications, marketing, English, history, political science, or a related field.
Approximately 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
We highly encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Historically, underrepresented groups include (but are not limited to) Black, Latinx/o/a/e, Indigenous, Asian, Arab, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander, biracial, multiracial, female-identifying, the disability community, LGBTQIA+, and other marginalized identities.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At GMF we are dedicated to building a diverse and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role, but your experience does not align perfectly, we encourage you to apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles at GMF. GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.