Epstein Creative is hiring for a contract position for 6-9 months for a gov agency in Rockville, MD. The candidate would be responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of strategic communications to enhance and increase public awareness of the agency's mission and programs and to garnish project support. The position will also be responsible for planning and coordinating regular press conferences to boost public awareness of programs and progress.
The primary focus of the position is promoting a positive public image in the media and providing information for public awareness through written media correspondence. This includes identifying newsworthy stories and developing press materials and messaging to increase resident engagement and encourage the public to utilize and support public transportation and infrastructure.
The position will also oversee marketing campaigns aimed at boosting public knowledge and support of current and future transit projects. The candidate will develop and coordinate marketing strategies such as media campaigns and major special events to facilitate and support the agency's campaigns and outreach efforts. This includes developing, overseeing, and administering news media content (press releases, media advisories, etc.) designed to engage the news media to generate media coverage with the intent to build awareness and engagement among residents and businesses in Montgomery County. This media outreach will be done in a manner that is inclusive and focused on understanding the demographics of the target audiences for the messages.
- Writing press releases, media advisories, speeches, and talking points.
- Responding to media inquiries.
- Developing and implementing strategies and procedures for working effectively with the media.
- Planning and hosting press conferences and media events to announce major news, new programs, or address crises.
- Maintaining positive working relationships with media organizations.
- Collaborating with program managers to ensure a cohesive public image.
- Speaking directly to the public or media to address questions and represent the organization.
- Leading, planning, and coordinating the agency's participation in large-scale events and campaigns to ensure the agency is prepared to participate with staff and volunteers.
- Supporting and editing a monthly newsletter
- Collecting and posting newsletter statistics.
- Creating content for use on social media and the web.
- Responding to queries from social media.
- Supporting the Communications team in written and administrative tasks including assistance with writing social media and web content.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional written and verbal communication, a strong understanding of the news media/social media, the ability to understand what makes a good news story, experience in communications and public relations strategies, and experience developing outreach campaigns and strategic communications planning.
This position requires the ability to work tactfully, effectively, and equitably with people from diverse backgrounds and roles.
This position will sometimes require work outside of regular office hours including nights and weekends.