The Nowak Metro Finance Lab at the Lindy Institute for Urban Innovation at Drexel University is seeking applicants for a Graduate Research Analyst internship for the summer of 2023. The Graduate Research Analyst will work directly with Bruce Katz, the Director of the Nowak Metro Finance Lab, and his team of Research Officers, in developing original research for publication and application with our network of partner practitioners.
The Nowak Lab is currently leading a series of major initiatives responding to the complex challenges and opportunities that cities face as the COVID pandemic recedes, including the disruptive and destructive dynamics in the challenges facing Black- and Latino-owned businesses, the acceleration of remote work, the electrification of mobility and the rise of parasitic capital in city and suburban housing markets, all while unprecedented federal investments flows compel cities to organize themselves in radically different ways. The Nowak Lab works closely with national organizations, particularly the Aspen Institute’s Latinos and Society Program and Accelerator for America, which share and promote our work through leading practitioners, elevating the potential for rapid replication and adaptation of successful models.
Summer 2023 Projects Include
- Creating new models for commercial corridor and central business district growth in response to shifts in the geography of office work and consumer spending.
- Creating new models for growing minority business ecosystems, with a particular focus on innovative capital products and public procurement reform driven by unprecedented federal spending.
- Developing new models for housing finance and neighborhood cultural preservation.
The employment term will be for 2.5 to 3 months from the date of hire, with the opportunity to continue part-time during the 2023-24 academic year based on performance and project funding. Selected candidates will be expected to work remotely and conduct periodic in-person meetings at Drexel in Philadelphia, PA as needed.
- Perform original research, data analysis and develop strategies related to Lab’s areas of focus.
- Analyze and synthesize research findings into memos, white papers, and reports.
- Development of at least one newsletter or report to be co-authored with the Director and/or Lab staff.
- Work with the Lab staff to coordinate graphic design efforts for report products.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal staff and external stakeholders via email and phone to ensure deliverable timelines and expectations are met.
- Other related duties as necessary.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent real estate finance, public finance, city/regional planning (with a focus on public-private partnerships), urban strategy, business administration, public policy, or another allied field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Ability to be a creative thinker and problem-solver.
- Ability to be a highly organized self-starter.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Strong research, writing and communication skills to synthesize complex research into digestible findings.
Hybrid: Remote/University City, Philadelphia PA
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.