Are you passionate about analyzing big data to tell stories and spot trends? Do you enjoy synthesizing digital metrics such as pageviews, clicks, and user behavior into a narrative that drives decision-making and powers editorial strategy, audience growth, and product development?
The Data Analytics Intern will be given significant responsibilities that directly impact business strategy by digging into various datasets to highlight insights and themes that help the company better reach, understand, and speak to their readers. You’ll work alongside an experienced analyst to create dashboards that dig into web traffic, email newsletter performance, and subscriber data across 26+ industries. This is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in data analytics, visualization, and strategy for a fast-growing digital media company.
We are looking for a smart, creative, and data-savy undergraduate student to complete a summer internship within the marketing data team specifically focused on web traffic and subscriber analytics. The start date for this position is June 12th.
- Create and maintain dashboards for the newsroom that measure web traffic across 26+ sites, vizualize traffic trends, dig into acquisition sources, and report on KPIs.
- You’ll work alongside an experienced analyst to create dashboards that dig into web traffic, email newsletterperformance, and subscriber data across 26+ industries.
- Analyze web traffic data in Google Analytics.
- Write queries in mySQL and BigQuery that pull audience demographic and engagement data together to identify broader engagement trends to help measure and benchmark audience acquisition and retention.
- Analyze audience behavior and trends: who are our newsletter subscribers, what are users reading on our sites, what topics resonate with which groups of users, what segments of the audience are interested in what, etc.
- Assist in setting up new web tracking to measure key actions on our sites (ex. Clicks, conversions, impressions).
- Rising junior or senior undergraduate pursuing a relevant quantitiave degree (ex: Math, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, etc.).
- Solid understanding of databases and data structures.
- Familiar with querying databases (mySQL, BigQuery, or something similar) and some coding language for data analysis (ex. Python, R, VBA).
- Advanced Excel knowledge (functions, macros, VLOOKUP).
- High level of comfort working with large data sets (cleaning, manipulating, visualizing).
- Creative, organized, detail-oriented, and self-directed problem solver who is eager to dig into data and identify trends.
- Preferred but not required: Experience with a BI or data visualtion tool (ex. Tableau, Data Studio, PowerBI).
- Broader interest in marketing preferred, but not required.
The salary for this internship is $16-21/hour based on experience.
Not all candidates will check all of the requirements listed above, and that’s OK — we still want to hear from you.Industry Dive strives to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment, and applicants who belong to traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Industry Dive is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
If you feel comfortable doing so please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Industry Dive will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.