Reporting to the Director of the (UDSH), the Communications & Marketing Director will serve as a forward-thinking leader of the agency and part of the leadership team at the UDSH. The Communications & Marketing Director will have the unique opportunity to create their position from the ground up and develop communications strategy for a 126-year old institution. The Communications & Marketing Director will be committed to executing a vision for communications mapped out by the recently adopted 2023-2027 Strategic Plan and will build excitement and institutional communications direction at a historic time for the UDSH.Principle Duties
The Communications & Marketing Director Duties
- Strategy: will build and manage an overarching communications strategy for the UDSH and the proposed Museum of Utah
- Brand Identity & Awareness: Manage and build brand identity in partnership with CCE Department Marketing & Communications team. This includes building a unified voice and adapting it to appeal to all audience segments.
- Website: Manages the appearance and functionality of the website content and framework in partnership with the agency’s subject matter experts utilizing state website standards and department guidelines; the candidate will help project manage the build out of a new web presence in 2023. This also includes managing third party platforms that host content, such as our Utah Historical Quarterly on Issu.
- Social Media: Develops, directs, and facilitates the agency’s social media strategy, including Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and others.
- Analytics: the Director will implement tools to measure key analytics, including web, social media, newsletter, and others. Analytics will be used to target key existing audiences and critical new ones for the agency.
- Content creation: the Director is responsible for creative concept ideation and asset creation, writing and proofreading, and working with subject matter experts on staff to ensure accuracy of key messages. This includes content creation and management for the newsletter, blog, website, and other outlets.
- Budget: the Director will manage a marketing budget annually and allocate funds according the required communications needs for the year
- Primary Communications contact: the Director will serve as the primary contact and conduit for the agency’s external communications needs. This includes press, new external partners, and others.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent storyteller who can develop a unified and unique voice to share Utah’s unique history and culture. A successful candidate will be someone who can articulate and execute communications needs for the agency’s seven primary initiatives: National History Day, Women’s History Initiative, Peoples of Utah Revisited, Cemeteries Program, Libraries and Collections, Publications, and the Museum of Utah. Ideal qualifications include:
- Demonstrated communication and marketing experience, preferably in a cultural organization setting. While a degree can demonstrate some of this, we will be looking to lived experience and successful execution in previous roles.
- Excellent written communications skills; can turn complex ideas into clear, simple language; excellent editing, copyediting and proofreading skills
- Able to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time management and respect for deadlines
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within cross-departmental teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage social channels and up-and-coming marketing tools and techniques
- Proficient in building and managing multi-media advertising campaigns, with depth of marketing knowledge to include print, digital, outdoor, direct mail, social media, web, broadcast, and more.
- Has at least four years of demonstrated experience in the marketing and communications sector.
Preference may be given to those with a Bachelors or advanced degree in applicable area of study, with at least one or more years of experience in public relations, communications or marketing.Why You Should Join Our Team
As a benefited employee, you will receive great health and retirement benefits. Click here
to view a summary of the benefits we offer. We also provide generous paid time off so you can spend more time with your family and have a positive work-life balance.