The Public Relations Specialist will work in partnership with the Communications Manager to develop and implement strong strategic external communications, working collaboratively with the Communications team. The specialist will support the development and promotion of a positive image of Volkswagen Chattanooga to the public and press in order to enhance perceptions in Chattanooga, across Tennessee and in N. Georgia as appropriate. The Specialist will collaborate and assist with internal communications initiatives as relevant.
- Work with the Communications Manager to plan and implement external communications activities to advance the plant’s communication goals and meet strategic objectives.
- Manage the plant’s social media accounts, draft engaging content and connect with audiences.
- Develop and maintain a communications schedule for continuous community engagement and media/editorial content.
- Oversee communications with charitable organizations re: the plant’s giving program, and coordinate evaluation and execution with the Communication team.
- Draft external communications, including media advisories and releases.
- Develop positive community relations for the plant as well as ideas for reputation, employer branding and risk management.
- Track relevant policy and media developments to help inform the Communications team and internal stakeholders.
- Establish networks and communication channels internally and externally, identifying to ensure coordinated communications efforts.
- Identify opportunities for partnership development and stakeholder outreach.
- Manage and keep up-to-date the plant’s digital media archive and press clips.
- Supply plant or product information and/or imagery to the media and partners as appropriate.
- Initiate, plan and organize press conferences to the media, business and political stakeholders.
- Serve as Company spokesperson when Communications Manager is not available.
- Ensure all information published about the plant by third parties is accurate and up to date.
- Support third parties in brand compliance.
- Oversee the production and design of collateral materials (brochures, signage) for external audiences.
- Coordinate events, including press conferences, working with budgets and in coordination with vendors.
Years Of Relevant Experience
- 5 - 7 years of relevant experience
Education - Required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or similar field
Education - Desired
- Masters or similar qualification
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize workload and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Integrity & diplomacy
- Ability to operate independently
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills on all levels
Specialized Skills - Required
- Minimum of five years in Communications / Public Relations field
- Knowledge of principles, techniques and methods of public information and relations
- Experience in social media administration including: planning, engagement strategy and goal setting; publishing schedules; development of online reputation; reputation management; and content management (including website)
- Experience organizing events, interviews and press conferences
- Proficiency with researching and authoring press releases, media relations content, executive bios, corporate newsletter content and speech proposals which align with strategic overriding communication objectives
- Experience developing press kit materials for media outlets, including press releases, images, pitch letters, case studies, feature articles and trend stories
- Ability to coordinate sponsorships and/or corporate charitable programs
- Ability to field inquiries from the press, elected officials and public
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate employee engagement in the community including employee volunteer activities
- Ability to evaluate public opinion through surveys, polls and social media listening
- Working-knowledge and understanding of AP Style
- Ability to generate relevant, original, high-quality content across multiple digital channels
- Ability to use analytics to improve decision-making
- Understanding of design standards including brand compliant typographic treatment, layout, packaging, visual balance, color usage and user interfaces
- Ability to manage multiple projects with changing priorities to produce committed results with quality on schedule
- Ability to deliver information in a clear, concise and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and innovation, remove barriers and resistance, and enable desired behaviors
- Ability to build relationships of trust by having a proactive point of view
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Excellent time management and professional collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of platforms/software for email communication, as well as proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of programs
Specialized Skills - Desired
- Journalism or agency experience
- Employer branding experience
- Basic knowledge of design software such as Adobe Creative Suite is desirable
- Familiarity with videography/photography and storyboard development; assisting with photo/film shoots
- Previous experience in a manufacturing or regulated environment with active community engagement
- Familiarity with internal/employee communications
- This position requires a willingness to work long hours and/or weekends on an as-needed basis. In addition to a routine work schedule, this position will participate in planned public relations, outreach and community engagement events/activities, which will include commitments during evenings and weekends. The successful candidate must have the ability and willingness to monitor and manage social media channels during irregular hours.
Volkswagen Group of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, color, gender identity/expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
#LI - HYBRID