The Britannica Group owns two of the world’s most valuable and trusted sources of knowledge: Encyclopaedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster. Britannica has been operating since 1768, and Merriam-Webster since 1825, and these digital-first brands now serve a global audience of more than two billion users.
Merriam-Webster is currently looking for an Email Marketing Manager to join the Consumer team. Under the direction of the Director of Marketing, the Email Marketing Manager will work closely with multiple departments to develop, implement, and deploy email marketing campaigns and automation efforts for both Merriam-Webster and Britannica. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, data-driven, and have a passion for improving the customer experience.
This is a full-time position.
Location: Springfield, MA / Hybrid, Can Be Remote - Eastern & Central Time Zones Preferred
● Daily newsletter email production, optimization, and quality assurance
● Build and implement triggered email campaigns to deliver on marketing objectives
● Manage, segment, and activate email contacts based on business objectives
● Strategize, develop, and implement nurture and lifecycle email campaigns for existing newsletters, subscriptions, and other transactional emails
● A/B test subject lines, messaging, and creative to drive continuous improvement in engagement and other KPIs
● Analyze and report on marketing campaigns in a timely manner, developing recommendations to improve performance
● Provide insights and recommendations in a strategic and thoughtful manner to internal stakeholders
● Day-to-day system administration and maintenance of the marketing automation platform, including list management, campaign health monitoring, and workflow automation
● Make data-driven decisions and identify new opportunities for newsletter and list growth and efficiencies
● Monitor and drive key metrics, including open rate, click-through rate and conversion rates, and regularly improve acquisition, activation, and engagement metrics
● Partner with product, editorial, and technical teams for maximum marketing impact
● Ensure all email campaigns comply with best practices as well as all relevant domestic and international regulations (e.g., GDPR, CASL, CAN-SPAM)
● 4+ years hands-on experience running successful email marketing/automation nurture programs
● Experience building business requirements for CRM/other data sources integration, list segmentation, workflows, and triggered events within an email service provider
● Data-centric with the ability to use analytic and problem-solving capabilities to provide insights, make recommendations, and propose solutions
● Experience with lifecycle marketing
● Experience with campaign and/or data migration between platforms
● Understanding and experience with A/B and multivariate testing methodologies
● Knowledge of email program best practices and compliance, including GDPR, CASL, and CAN-SPAM regulations (required)
● Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
● Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
● An eye for design and UX
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
● Resourceful with the ability to identify and solve problems creatively and with minimal guidance
Britannica and Merriam-Webster strive to provide its users with trustworthy, verified information in a constantly changing world. We aspire to fulfill that mission with a diverse, multigenerational workforce who represent a variety of life experiences and points of view. All backgrounds and cultures are welcomed.