The Communications and Content Director will develop and implement a strategic communication plan to tell the story of MCAEL and the essential role the organization plays in building stronger communities and advancing Montgomery County’s workforce. A key team member and advisor to the MCAEL Executive Director, the Communications and Content Director will create strategic content for MCAEL’s print and digital platforms with the goal of advancing MCAEL’s mission and vision. This position supervises the Digital Communications Specialist. and works collaboratively with that person and the whole MCAEL Staff. In support of that goal, this position will work with the MCAEL team and partners to produce content for press releases, newsletters, e-mails and collateral materials, as well as edit/update the MCAEL website and assist with events, outreach, collaborations and more.
- Develop annual communications plan as well as plans for milestones, events, etc.
- Working with team and community partners, generate strategic communications and story ideas for press releases and other platforms
- Envision new approaches to amplify and elevate stories of MCAEL, the service providers and students that benefit from MCAEL’s network of programs
- Develop relationships with nonprofit partners, local media members and nonprofit communication peers
- Consider tone, messaging and audience for all strategic communications
- Draft copy for press releases; obtain needed quotes working closely with partner organizations, instructors and students
- Serve as communications lead and media contact for press releases; pitch stories to relevant media outlets
- Collaborate with staff and committee members to aid with annual awareness event
- Work with Digital Communications Specialist to identify opportunities to amplify MCAEL news with key partners via social media, the newsletter(s) and other tools (print, online, etc.); contribute to and edit content
- Work with Executive Director on internal communications, including board communications
- Work with Executive Director to conceptualize and draft advocacy campaigns, testimony, etc.
- Research story ideas and help draft copy for MCAEL newsletter, working closely with MCAEL team
- Oversee website content, write and edit website copy, offers design input
- Activate and track elements of organizational plans (i.e. strategic plan)
- Help develop MCAEL collateral (slide decks, etc.) for presentations, meetings and events
- Assist with special projects such as creating content for videos and events
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interest in mission-driven nonprofit work, collaborative work style
- Highly skilled writer and editor with over 10 years of experience in communications space, preferably in an education or nonprofit setting
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms, working knowledge of website updating software
- Ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner
- BA degree in communications, journalism or a related field—this may be substituted for a relevant combination of academic, professional, and other experiences
- Proficiency in another language preferred
This position is exempt, 20-25 hours/week with generous benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary is $40,000 - $48,000 range depending on number of hours/week and skills and experience. Other benefits include: health insurance, retirement plan, paid time off at a rate commensurate with employment status; professional development support. At the present time, MCAEL staff are granted a mix of working in the office and at home.