Role: Communication Manager
Location: Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco (Remote)
Job Type: Full Time
We are pleased to announce the position of Communications Manager joining the Dynamic Communications team. Directly reporting to Communications Director, Communications Managers support the execution and conduct of general organizational and development communications.
The Communications Manager is responsible for supporting press releases, media, e-marketing and organizational development tools, detailing and planning the PA website, posting to social media and contributing to strategy/analytics. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills and experience working in social justice, and will share the organization's mission to advance a visionary narrative that embraces the full humanity of neighbors and community members, empowers impacted communities, and brings together diverse, directly impacted people. voices cultivating subject matter experts from among PA employees.
The Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director, but works closely with all members of the growing communications team, PA attorneys, program managers and key staff. This position will also work closely with the PA Coalition and regional partners and provide leaders in some of these facilities. This position can be located anywhere in California; in-person hybrid work (requires our closest office in the San Francisco/Sacramento Bay Area) and future travel (sometimes soon) to meet with media locally. This job is 100% remote to anyon in Southern California, but requires travel to offices a media events as needed.
• Support strategic communications efforts to promote key PA campaigns and brand identity.
• Identify strategic opportunities to advance PA's brand, mission and policy priorities.
• Lead/assist program teams in developing and implementing media plans, message houses and action campaigns with program staff as assigned
• Implement communication plans including developing engaging materials, creating talking points based on PA communication research
•Update/createe PA communication materials and documents.
• Support program teams in the preparation, formatting and publication of reports.
• Assists the team in preparing and distributing an electronic newsletter.
• Present and build relationships with journalists to advance PA .'s strategic storytelling goals
• Supports press release functions, including maintaining press lists and recording press interactions with reporters and press agencies throughout California
• Send notices to employees about press photos.
• Oversee the website's ongoing development to involve a variety of audiences and all website upgrades.
• Create and upload original material for the website (blog entries, articles/news clips, videos, and other documents) in collaboration with your team.
• Examine material once a week, and proactively suggest website content modifications to the director of communication.
• Reply to requests for website publication as necessary and carry out scheduled website changes as directed
• Increase user interaction on social media platforms.
• Help with the creation and upkeep of a digital editorial calendar.
• Create and implement daily content and advertising for Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms, including visual material.
• Assistance with measuring, evaluating, and reporting on metrics for online and digital communication
• Oversee Google Analytics and Ads for PA.
General Organization Communication:
• Identify opportunities to establish and improve the PA communication framework.
• Coordinate support for all earned media assets, e-blasts, statements and communications projects, presentations, videos and assets as needed.
• Manage design assets (images, photos, graphics, audio files, video uploads)
• Create communication assets/products using graphic design or work on these products with contract graphic designers
• Edit and format key development-related electronic communication elements (e.g. appeals, fundraisers)
• Support the development team in editing and content of fundraising appeals.
• Work with the development team to write, upload, and maintain development-related content on the site
• Provide support during the day for organizational events.
• At least 5 years of experience in communication task
• Ability to independently produce and update the program's communication content and products an assist with other written work; strong written, grammatical, oral and interperson skills; talent in drafting documents fact-checking and proofreading.
• Ability to update and publish to a WordPress site and set up and send e-active alerts via Muster and Constant Contact (or demonstrated ability to skillfully learn new software tools)
• Experience and skills in social media and social media network integration.
• Ability to perform basic graphics tools such as Canva;
• Media relations experience, general understanding of how journalists do their work and what counts as news (eg journalism training or communication or journalism studies)
• Experience and skills in managing short deadlines and multiple simultaneous tasks; proven initiative in defined work areas
• Preferred Candidates:
Proven passion for using communication as a tool to promote social justice.
Willingness to learn new information/content related to PA policy areas.
Experience working in coalitions o other organizations promoting social justice.