U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.Your role in helping us shape the future:
Do you want to choose the right stocks or know the best funds to pick for your first 401(k)? Then the Investing team at U.S. News wants to hear from you.
The Investing intern will advance their skills in writing and reporting as well as other skills such as learning the process of editing, story generation and how to write sections in a newsletter. You’ll also get hands-on experience in how to edit for search engine optimization and build analytical reports on newsletter and site performance.
The ideal intern can write error-free copy, edit for clarity and handle several deadline-driven tasks at once. Tasks may include writing bylined pieces for the Investing section, monitoring stock news and performing/generating newsletter analysis.
What will you learn? You’ll learn the basics of business journalism as well as how to write and edit for a consumer audience. You’ll also acquire other skills such as learning to use a content management system, developing familiarity with SEO practices, managing multiple projects and monitoring site traffic. You will participate in Investing meetings and receive one-on-one coaching from your supervisor.Are you up to the challenge?
- Writing bylined content for the Investing section
- Editing content submitted by freelancers for grammar, syntax and accuracy
- Translating published content into other mediums such as graphics or newsletters
- Contributing to the daily U.S. News Invested newsletter
- Generating analytical reports on newsletter performance and site traffic
- Reviewing SEO performance and opportunities
- Participating in regular virtual team meetings
- Potential to conceive of and report on an investing-related “passion piece” on a topic of interest to the intern
- Eligible candidates must be one of the following:
- Part-time or full-time students who have completed 48+ credit hours (rising juniors/seniors and graduate students) and are enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited college or university
- Part-time or full-time students enrolled in a graduate program at an accredited college or university
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, professionalism and maturity in the workplace
- Effective communicator in both written and spoken English
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in use of MS Office Suite and Google Docs
- 3.0 GPA or above preferred
Summer Intern Program Description:
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously and manage deadlines capably
- Capable of writing clear, error-free copy and editing content to improve flow, structure and style
- Preferred majors/degrees: journalism, English, finance, communications and other related fields
What it’s like to work with us:
- 10 weeks; ideally, starting on Monday, June 5, 2023 through Friday, August 11, 2023.
- We expect interns to work 37.5 hours/week, Monday- Friday
- Internship pays $16.10 an hour.
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
Other Job Info:
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Collaborative Work Environment : Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- U.S. News & World Report strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated (including boosters).
- Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.