“Go where ever we are needed and do whatever comes to mind.”
- Ballington & Maud Booth, Founders
Volunteers of America
(VOA) is a faith-based, nationwide nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. The VOA network includes more than 16,000 full-time professionals empowering 1.5 million people annually through our 30 affiliates in 46 states. We provide hundreds of service programs, including those for seniors and people with disabilities, those experiencing homelessness, and those recovering from addiction. VOA is one of the nation’s most comprehensive human services charities, offering programs for communities, individuals, and families.
VOA is seeking an Intern
to support our Communications and Marketing team. The selected candidate for this role will be a dynamic, self-starter to assist in national and regional marketing and communications initiatives. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing and communications while working for a prestigious faith-based nonprofit organization, which serves 1.5 million individuals per year. The Communications and Marketing Intern will be an integral member of the Communications Team and will research and create content to illustrate the work VOA does in over 400 communities across the country. The ideal candidate must excel in written and verbal communication, be social media-savvy and manage multiple assignments from start to finish.
This position is full-time (up to 35 hours per week) and has the capacity for both Remote and Hybrid Work Schedules. The internship is unpaid, however, a stipend is provided.
- Assist Communications Team (Internal, External, Public Relations, Event Management and Digital/Social Media) with writing, researching, curating and composing content
- Update and maintain VOA’s social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Assist in research, planning, and writing weekly communication to local offices as well as monthly engagement messaging, along with other electronic marketing strategies
- Research, draft, and distribute materials for news releases, media alerts and other stories
- Assist in designing flyers, graphics, evites and other marketing material for events hosted by VOA
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and venues for marketing and communications
- Brainstorm ideas for new and innovative campaigns on social media and make recommendations to increase engagement
- Assist in writing content for website, e-newsletter, and other VOA channels
- Support the Communications Team with departmental needs as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of and experience with social media platforms
- Lifting: Requires lifting materials up to 10 lbs.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting
- Interacts with staff, consultants, outside partners and vendors
Education And Experience
- Applicants that have completed or working towards a degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field, preferred
Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals With Disabilities
Employment with VOA is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Senior Vice President of Human Resources.