The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is looking for a compelling writer with a strong classical music background, impeccable attention to detail, and passion for music to join the team as its Communications and Publications Coordinator. The Coordinator will thrive in a team environment and contribute actively to the success of the SLSO’s mission of making music accessible to all.
The Coordinator works across all SLSO departments—including Marketing, Philanthropy, and Community/Education—to engage audiences, creating and refining institutional messaging through SLSO communications channels, from SLSOStories.org and social media to e-newsletters. The Coordinator also manages production of program books, including Playbill
, for SLSO performances.
Responsibilities Of The Job
Key responsibilities include writing, editing, and proofreading copy, as well as managing deadlines and working with colleagues, freelancers, and others on content.
Writer/Storyteller/Proofreader for the SLSO
- Work with VP, Communications and other SLSO leadership to develop season storytelling plan and editorial calendar.
- Write in a variety of styles to effectively communicate with audiences, from institutional letters and Annual Reports to philanthropy/fundraising appeals, Marketing/promotional copy, and concert descriptions.
- Serve as an institutional liaison with other departments as related to programs, monthly e-newsletters, and pre-concert slides.
- Help ensure that all communication across all vehicles is consistent in message and style. Proof against brand and style guidelines to ensure consistency.
- Collaborate with freelance writers for editorial articles, program notes, and other needs.
- Manage special publications and projects.
Playbill/Program Book Manager
- Compile copy, biographies, and other materials to be included in Playbill programs.
- Oversee design, layout, proofreading, and production of Playbill and individual programs, community programs, and special inserts, ensuring on-time delivery for all concerts.
Coordinator Of Other SLSO Communications Channels
- Compile and edit pre-concert slides for programs throughout season. Route through review and proofreading process.
- Write and edit the monthly SLSO e-newsletter.
- Write, edit, and approve copy and posts for SLSO social media channels.
- Coordinate administrative responsibilities for Communications Department, including invoicing, contracting with writers/annotators, negotiating fees within budget, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, Musicology, or Communications/Journalism with classical music experience strongly preferred.
- Two+ years professional experience in Communications preferred, especially with a non-profit arts organization.
- Must possess extremely proficient writing/proofreading skills and be able to write in a variety of styles for various audiences.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills and the ability to prioritize tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and work independently.
- Work well in a highly collaborative, team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that will include non-traditional hours (including some evenings and weekends).
- Ability to use email management software (Prospect2) and Microsoft Office. Photography experience helpful.
Benefits & Perks
- Hybrid schedule; consideration for fully work-from-home schedule.
- Excellent medical (including domestic partner coverage), vision, dental, supplemental health plan.
- 3 weeks' vacation/PTO + 8 sick days.
- Fitness reimbursement.
- Retirement contribution.
- Discounted and complimentary concert tickets.
- And more.
The SLSO embraces a world in which every life is enriched through the power of music. We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness where a diverse team of employees can grow and thrive. The collective sum of our employees’ individual differences, experiences, knowledge, self-expression, and talent are represented in our culture, innovative spirit and the SLSO’s achievements. In recruiting for our team, we welcome candidates’ uniqueness in culture, social identities, expression, and viewpoints. The SLSO is an Equal Opportunity Employer