Since 1981 CHRIS 180 has been dedicated to healing and recovery for children, youth, adults, and families and is a growing $40 million organization with over 400 employees. CHRIS 180 services include counseling for the community at large; school-based mental health counseling; comprehensive wraparound services; homes for abused, neglected foster children with emotional and behavioral problems who are in state custody and for unaccompanied children in federal foster care; supportive housing for single and parenting young people, ages 17 – 24 who are homeless or aging out of foster care; in-home services and community programs that strengthen families; outreach, drop-in and community housing for older teens, young adults and families with children experiencing homelessness; services in community centers and partnerships with afterschool providers; an adoption program for children in foster care; teen and gun violence reduction programming; and, training for professionals, human service workers, educators, volunteers, individuals who work within the community, in hospitals, other organizations and with children, youth, adults, and families. All services aim to unlock the potential that resides in each person to help them build resiliency and become self-sufficient, contributing adults who have the skills to navigate life’s challenges. Numerous partnerships support this work.Program Overview
The Communication Managerwill assist in overseeing all day-to-day communications needs of CHRIS 180. The primary responsibility will be providing strategic support to the CMO while working closely with program leadership and building relationships that promote CHRIS 180 programs in the community. This position is responsible for executing all communications for revenue-generating programs; coordinating and supervising daily social media content and content for internal communications channels (staff newsletter, presentations, etc.); serving as the initial point of contact for media; and leading integrated communications across owned, earned paid and social channels. Additionally, the Communications Manager will lead multi-channel content creation, with outputs including but not limited to the website, email, social media, press releases, white papers, case studies, and blog posts.
This role reports to the CMO and serves as a key liaison to the CMO & Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The Communications Manager is expected to collaborate closely with all CHRIS 180 departments to develop and ensure consistent, integrated marketing execution that supports overall brand awareness and positioning goals, as well as manage our Advertising Firm and other outside resources. This person will lead internal communications including the development of an intranet for employees and work alongside the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to craft messaging. The Communication Manager will also supervise the daily activities of the Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
This role requires the ability to work in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted environment both independently and in a team environment with consistent feedback from various departments. The ability to multi-task yet still meet critical deadlines is a must.Role And Responsibilities
The primary duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the media outreach strategy and execution for CHRIS 180
- Research programming, events, and happenings at CHRIS 180 for stories to pitch for news coverage
- Establish new relationships with local media – including TV, Radio, Print and Digital Reporters and Influencers
- Create and maintain media lists.
- Monitor and track media coverage with assistance from Marketing & Communications Coordinator.
- Act as our on-site PR support for all external visitors including media, volunteers, donors and partners
- Coordinate statements, interviews and media training for ELT and senior leadership, including the CEO and staff as needed.
- Write, edit, review, and correct format, logic and grammar for positive media exposure of project reports, policy briefings, plans and events.
- Maintain brand consistency across internal and external communication channels
- Collaborate with the Management teams to develop cross-channel communications plans that grow and mobilize communities of donors, advocates and clients
- Maintain CHRIS 180 website, posting the latest press releases and major news coverage as appropriate
- Maintain awards application and pitch databases lead awards applications and tracks progress
- Explain communications plans to key stakeholders, including staff members, the board of directors and the advisory council.
- Develop and implement awareness and advocacy campaigns, measure results and optimize accordingly.
- Maintain awareness of social/political/economic issues that impact our organization.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends in content marketing and determine how to apply them to our channels for the greatest impact.
- Contribute to marketing and communications support, including branding and online engagement
- Supports maintenance of the Crisis Communication Plan for CHRIS 180.
- Executes and coordinates non-fundraising events such as grand openings, media drops etc.
- As directed by CMO, manages new and recurring CHRIS 180 event projects directly (or indirectly) related to the organization.
- Provides certain vendors and contractors with necessary CHRIS 180 information to execute assigned tasks, and jobs; keeps staff on deadline with weekly check-ins.
- Creates plan for internal communications in collaboration with CMO and HR
- Drives development of internal communications
- Partners with departments to ensure communications are on brand and effective with key audiences
- Write, edit and/or proofread copy across stakeholder and customer-facing content, including website, blog, email, social, one-sheets, case studies, white papers, press releases, presentations, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or a related field
- 3-5 years experience in writing, editing or? public?relations, OR an equivalent combination of?education, training, and experience.
- Experience with marketing and social media analytics
- Cultural sensitivity and understanding of diversity
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, social media applications, and emerging media
- High level of initiative, problem-solving and project management capabilities.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to multi-task, manage deadlines, prioritize and work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate and edit technical content and translate it effectively for general audiences.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple projects and priorities
- Accountable for work being completed accurately and in a timely manner as well as following up as needed
- Ability to collaborate with other staff to ensure best practices and sound decisions
- Commitment to our vision and mission should be demonstrated in work
- Experience working in a fast-paced corporate or agency environment is preferred
- Creative, energetic, and confident
- Passion for learning and acquiring new skills
- Analytical and strategic thinker
- Ability to translate specialized knowledge, including research, into a style of language and graphic presentation that appeals to diverse audiences.
- Familiarity with social media analysis tools, Google Analytics, A/B testing is a plus.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Computer literacy in MS Office and desktop publishing applications. Experience with WordPress, Google Drive, marketing automation (MailChimp) and content management platforms a plus.
- Ability to listen to and interact with a diverse group of people.
- Creative, collaborative, and positive team-building demeanor.
Hybrid schedule (2-3 office days) daytime, nighttime & weekend events as needed, and flexibility to monitor social media and news coverage.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.