POSITION: Marketing Manager
COMPANY: American Association of Independent Music (A2IM)
About A2IM: The American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) is a not-for-profit trade group representing independently owned recorded music companies. A2IM is uniquely positioned in serving as a central voice for a diverse community of independent labels. A2IM operates within the United States focusing on government advocacy, education, and creating networking and business opportunities and community for its member companies. Our membership comprises more than 600 record labels including Concord, Beggars Group, Epitaph, EMPIRE, Ninja Tune, GODMODE, MNRK, and Stones Throw as well as nearly 200 related music businesses such as Spotify, Discogs, and YouTube. A2IM represents members’ interests in the marketplace, in media and tech, on Capitol Hill, and as part of the global music community.
Responsibilities: The Marketing Manager will understand market trends, create marketing strategy and budgets, oversee the creation and publication of marketing materials and content for all uses including social media, and perform all other relevant tasks essential for increasing A2IM’s public image.
This role is equal parts strategic and organizational. The ideal candidate is a proactive and creative self-starter who will bring fresh ideas to further awareness of A2IM’s brand. The Marketing Manager will fully own all A2IM marketing, social, and brand communication. They will create and execute on strategies to grow email lists, develop our weekly newsletter, increase social following and engagement, and drive relevant sales. The highest level of attention to detail and efficient communication skills are imperative. The Marketing Manager will report directly to the General Manager.
Location: A2IM is open to remote applicants. Employees are currently working remotely with an option to utilize A2IM’s NYC Lower East Side office. This role may eventually be required to be in an office up to 5 days per week. Attendance is required at A2IM flagship events in New York City each June. Work/life balance is respected but some necessary out of hours work is required from time to time.
Specific duties include, but are but not limited to, the following:
- Strategy development and planning of campaigns to promote A2IM and generate genuine traffic, both online and offline
- Implementation of the marketing campaigns from ideation to final analysis and refinement
- Management and creation of weekly newsletters and other marketing mailers
- Management of all A2IM social media properties including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn
- Increase A2IM’s business by creating significantly greater awareness of it and its members’ achievements among members, prospective members, the music and tech industries, on Capitol Hill, and with artists and consumers
- Develop strategic, creative marketing plans aligned with A2IM’s vision and mission
- Create and manage A2IM’s marketing and communication calendar
- Source and manage relevant vendors including but not limited to designers and photographers
- Foster a brand identity for the organization in accordance with A2IM’s mission that members can identify with, and that elevates A2IM’s influence in the ecosystem
- Market A2IM’s events and ensure that execution meets or exceeds best practices
- Coordinate information flows with all forms of media, outside PR company, lobbyists, board members, staff, and members
- Increase followers and engagement across all social media channels
- A/B test, record, analyze, and report on relevant metrics for growth and to determine strategy
- Light content creation, including but not limited to social graphics and short-form video
- Other duties as required
Required Skills and Experience:
- Go-getter; strategy-minded self-starter and an assertive problem solver
- Highly organized, extremely detail oriented, and accurate
- Impeccable written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective prioritization, time, and project management skills
- Tech-savvy including use of computers, Slack, MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel), Google Suite, and other tools
- Strong marketing strategy, branding and project management skills
- Strong PR/marketing writing, general written and verbal presentation and interpersonal skills
- Exhaustive knowledge of cutting edge marketing techniques, including SEO
- Comprehensive understanding of music industry and particularly independent labels’ issues
- Skilled in communicating to all levels of the music, media, and tech industries and Congress
- Strong data management, analytical, and reporting skills
- Super computer-geek, Internet, social media, graphics software, MS Office, and Google Suite user
- Innovative thinker
- Ability to work independently yet collaborate and communicate with all stakeholders
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Spanish language fluency will be an asset
- Experience with scalability
- Proficiency in budgeting and budget management
- Record label, management, non-profit or other relevant music industry experience is preferred
Compensation: This is a full-time role with a remote option. The company offers competitive compensation, health, dental and vision benefits, 401(k) with employer match, PTO, and respect for work-life balance. Travel, up to 10%, may be required. Base salary will be commensurate with the final hire’s relevant skills and experience as well as location and is anticipated at an annual rate in the range of $50,000 to $70,000.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, customers, member companies and suppliers.