Leonardo/ISAST is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support our media team. This position will provide general support to and assist Chief Strategy Officer and the editorial team across print, digital, and experimental publications, as well as, special projects & partnerships, joint-publications, new media platforms. This person will join our growing team to advance Leonardo’s vision of fostering global transformation at the nexus of art, science, and technology in pursuit of a more vibrant, just, and regenerative world.
The ideal candidate is enterprising, organized, and a strong communicator. They will bring with them a passion for hybrid creativity and new media.
Copy Editing & Writing
- Copy edit and proofread journals, publications, and other written work (print and digital)
- Draft and contribute writing to bi-monthly newsletter and meet deadlines
- Add new journal and book releases and monitor monthly reviews for website content
Journal Publication Management
- Tracking, organization, and coordination of permissions forms, images, and supplemental materials
- Format manuscripts at various stages of the editing process
- Coordinate various print sections
Editorial Administration and Communication
- Author correspondence
- Publisher correspondence
- Editorial Review Board correspondence as assigned
- Record keeping and note-taking from meetings
- Add, update, maintain author records in database
- Compile annual author index
- Maintain editorial calendar
- One year minimum experience in an editorial office (remote OK)
- Impeccable written American English; expert at grammar with a real grasp of language and usage
- Understanding of editorial and production processes including stages of development, rights and permissions, and image requirements
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent verbal communication
- Experience writing for a professional audience
- Efficient and organized
- Extensive experience and comfort using Microsoft Word and Google Suite
- Experience with using Adobe Acrobat Pro
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Experience with advanced Microsoft Word functions including custom templates, paragraph styles, and tracking changes
- Knowledge of standard proofreading symbols and protocol
- Knowledge of basic print/text design practices, eg, templates, grids, hierarchy
- Experience with digital publishing, podcast or video production
- Full-time position, compensation range: $32,000-$36,000/yr
- 50% contribution to health and 75% contribution to dental group insurance plan
- 10 days vacation, 10 days sick leave, and 15 paid holidays annually
- Impax Simple IRA retirement plan (available after 6 months of employment)
- Remote work options
MISSION: Leonardo fosters transformation at the nexus of art, science and technology, because complex problems require creative solutions. We serve to empower an inclusive global network, a borderless community where all belong in pursuit of creativity for a more vibrant, just and regenerative world.
VISION: Leonardo activates creativity to push the boundaries of today and unleash the possibilities of tomorrow.
A fearless pioneer since 1968, Leonardo serves as THE community forging a transdisciplinary network to convene, research, collaborate and disseminate best practices at the nexus of arts, science and technology worldwide. Leonardo serves a network of transdisciplinary scholars, artists, scientists, technologists and thinkers who experiment with new, cutting-edge approaches, practices, systems and solutions to tackle the most complex challenges facing humanity today.
As a not-for-profit 501(c)3 enterprising think tank, Leonardo offers a global platform for creative exploration and collaboration, reaching tens of thousands of people across 135 countries. Our flagship publication, Leonardo, the world’s leading scholarly journal on transdisciplinary art, anchors a robust publishing partnership with MIT Press; our partnership with Arizona State University infuses educational innovation with digital art and media for lifelong learning. Our creative programs span thought-provoking events, exhibits, residencies and fellowships, scholarship and social enterprise ventures.
As a member of the Leonardo/ISAST team, the Editorial Assistant serves to support fellow staff, volunteers, leadership, and the community. We are all responsible for creating safe, respectful, productive work relationships, culture and environment. We are aligned with Leonardo’s vision and values, our Code of Ethics, and our commitment to action for anti-racism, social justice, and human dignity. The Editorial Assistant role contributes to Leonardo’s positive impact, advancing what it can do to make the world a better place.
We are a small organization with a global, distributed team. We encourage a culture of support, agility, trust and transparency.
Commitment towards J.E.D.I. (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion):
Leonardo/ISAST is committed to a J.E.D.I. practice. Please refer to our anti-racist editorial policies and Code of Ethics. We encourage applicants from around the globe to apply, including those from underrepresented communities of color, ability and LGTBQIA+.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter with “Editorial Assistant Application — [Full Name]'' in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail)
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will receive a reply. Thank you for your interest in Leonardo.