About The China Project
The China Project is a New-York based, China-focused news, information, and business services platform. Our goal is to empower better understanding and decision-making regarding China through timely, contextual, and comprehensive coverage of the country that is reshaping the modern world.
We publish our content across web, newsletters, podcasts, live/digital events, social media, and B2B style business services. Our content covers all things China – business, technology, politics, foreign affairs, society, culture, arts, history, and more.
About the position
The Events Manager will report directly to the Chief Marketing Officer. While the work is mostly remote, we are looking for a person based in either New York City or Washington D.C.
She or he will play a key role in helping The China Project grow its audience and subscriptions through events, partnerships and community management. They will be considered a brand ambassador with a deep understanding of our mission, audience, content, products, and our team members to effectively promote us to potential sponsors, event co-hosts, and new subscribers.
They will oversee partner relations, event production and marketing campaigns for activations ranging from editorial webinars to live conferences featuring hundreds of audience members. They will develop activations that leverage the voices and networks of The China Project to consistently and authentically push forward our mission. They will also work closely with the sales and editorial teams to identify content and market fit.
The ideal candidate has a background in work related to China, is persistent in maintaining strong partner relationships, is a detailed and consistent project manager, is able to independently produce stellar written deliverables, and has an eye for good design.
Primary objectives & workflows:
- Strategy (10%)
- Work with the CMO and CEO to define an annual strategy and plan for events and partner engagement
- Define the specific milestones that will be achieved on what timeline(s), as well as the resources needed to achieve them
- Event management (40%)
- Ensure that all in-person and online events run smoothly and The China Project is presented professionally to the outside world at all times
- Project manage the planning process and stakeholder tasks according to our events management guidelines
- Speaker and partner communications
- Venue coordination
- Online platform management
- Partner engagement (20%)
- Maintain ongoing relationships with The China Project’s partner organizations in order to generate new events and/or other collaboration opportunities
- Reach out to relevant media and partner organizations to advance The China Project's thought leadership and events agenda to targeted stakeholders
- Develop strong relationships with key organizations and influencers to execute impactful engagements for The China Project’s editors and leadership team
- Creative content production (20%)
- Write compelling copy that will drive awareness of and engagement with activations that build The China Project brand image
- Manage design (utilizing design freelancers and an eye for good aesthetics) on content that will be used across our website, the events-specific website and event pages, social media, email newsletters, and other similar mediums
- Internal reporting & analysis (10%)
- Track key information and metrics from events and partner-related activities
- Examples include total number of event attendees, their industry or specific employer, number or percent of event attendees who were already or soon became paid subscribers, percent of event attendees who paid for tickets versus being invited for free, number of new newsletter signups following a positive media coverage event, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience in PR, communications, advertising or marketing
- Experience in planning and executing events - webinars, public gatherings, seminars and conferences
- Experience in running social media accounts for organizations
- Innate curiosity for China and interest in China’s culture, politics, geopolitics, business, and more
- Attention to detail - is able to write copy with no spelling or grammatical errors and to catch inconsistencies in design work
- Chinese language expertise
- Experience working with Adobe Photoshop, Premier, and After Effects
- Knowledge of and experience with organizations in the U.S.-China business space