Hour Detroit, metro Detroit’s award-winning monthly city magazine, is looking for a creative and organized individual who is as talented telling a story as they are creating and maintaining a spread sheet. They can take direction but can also take the initiative, handling administrative tasks without being asked, coming up with strong story ideas, and staying on top of their own deadlines. If they are not already familiar with the city of Detroit and metro Detroit they are eager to start exploring — everything from food to politics.
Primary responsibilities include:
Writing: As associate editor, you will be expected to contribute at least one article to each issue. Possible topics (you will have the chance to play to your strengths and interests) include entertainment, fashion, health, politics, and others. You will also contribute to larger features such as Top Doctors, Detroiters, and Best of Detroit.
In this role you will be working with interns and freelancers to ensure that all stories are properly fact-checked.
In addition to editing stories you will also help to proofread the magazine with the rest of the editorial staff.
Community engagement: You will be expected to build relationship with organizations, PR teams, store owners, etc., whether that’s in person, email, or social media. While meeting fascinating Detroiters is something that you can do during the work hours, we are looking for candidates who already love exploring Detroit and the suburbs. Attending events for the magazine and other organizations is also part of the job.
This is a position with the opportunity to grow! Over time you will have the opportunity to oversee your own section of the magazine as its editor.
As our video production continues to grow, you’ll have opportunities to be a part of the process, working behind the scenes or even appearing on camera to help promote Hour’s content.
- Serving as backup editor for digital editor (posting articles online, sending newsletter) as needed
- Assisting editor and deputy editor in various tasks in takes to produce a monthly magazine.
- Monitoring editorial inbox and replying/forwarding as needed.
• Three or more years of experience writing for print or digital consumer media.
• Organization and attention to detail.
• Proven multitasking ability on disparate tasks.
• Clear, effective communication and a cool head under pressure.
• A demonstrated sense of what makes something newsworthy and relevant to our audience.
• Familiarity with Excel, WordPress, InDesign, Google Analytics, and Hubspot
To succeed candidates must:
- Have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Be self-driven.
- Have a relentless work ethic.
· Have an outgoing personality (or at least enjoy going out and trying new things).
- Enjoy talking to people.
- Be comfortable on-camera.
- Enjoy being part of a fun team and helping others succeed.
Location: 5750 New King, Dr., Troy, MI.
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401k, FSA
Hour Media, a Troy, Michigan-based multimedia company is the largest publisher of city and regional magazines in the United States — as well as a multimedia production and digital distribution company.