Arlington, Virginia, USA
Location is flexible. The selected candidate should anticipate a need to develop modes of working with a core team located in North America time zones. May be fully remote or hybrid (home/office).
Who We Are
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
What We Can Achieve Together
The Writer & Content Producer leads the story development, writing and editing for a variety of marketing and communications content designed to drive key organizational messages and advance TNC’s conservation goals and solutions. They will produce content in multiple formats and mediums for promotion across TNC’s digital and social media channels, and project manage select team priorities. They will sit in the Editorial & Content Development (E&C) team.
The Writer & Content Producer is a passionate and creative storyteller with digital content savvy who will serve as a lead writer for a variety of marketing & communication materials that raise brand awareness, grow engagement and expand influence with TNC’s key audiences. They will create compelling thought leadership and explainer content that both introduces TNC’s work to new audiences and cements TNC’s reputation as a proven problem-solver and valuable partner with existing audiences. They will support journalistic storytelling about TNC’s conservation work across the globe—including conducting and/or coordinating field reporting. They will help create foundational TNC products and messaging. They may also assist in the management of design and production of visual and audio assets, video storyboarding and other creative needs based on the scope of specific projects. They will collaborate extensively across the Marketing & Communications (MAC) division and other TNC departments to achieve editorial and content goals. They may manage select staff, budgets and vendors.
As Writer & Content Producer, You Will
- Produce multi-channel content based on an overarching editorial and content strategy that aligns to overall TNC branding and messaging—including web feature stories and other articles, email newsletters, video scripts, infographics, and social media copy.
- Serve as the lead writer and production manager for Global Insights, TNC’s email newsletter geared toward policy, business and other global “change agent” audiences.
- Support production of foundational brand materials, products and messaging for use across the organization and with external partners and stakeholders
- Create persuasive messages and tell compelling stories that spark curiosity, engage audiences and elevate TNC’s reputation.
- Proactively pitch new story concepts and creative executions to E&C teammates as well as other MAC teams.
- Travel on occasion to assist with on-ground story development as well as for in-person TNC retreats and meetings.
- Demonstrate digital media savviness, and ability to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of content principles, best practices and emerging trends
- Coordinate closely with Analytics team to interpret content performance and identify opportunities to optimize future content.
- Coordinate with E&C teammates to align story production with the global editorial calendar.
- Collaborate with Social Media team, Web team and Centralized Email Program to ensure appropriate promotion for all content.
- Collaborate with Creative team to ideate, storyboard and edit multimedia assets intended for TNC’s social and digital platforms.
- Have the opportunity to act independently within program goals, and responsible for meeting project goals and objectives.
- May manage select staff, budgets and vendors.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
If you’re looking for a career where you can find meaning and purpose, come join our Editorial & Content Development (E&C) team! Not only will you fulfill conservation objectives, you’ll contribute to the achievement of urgent conservation goals on a global scale.
We’re looking for a passionate, dedicated person to work within TNC’s Marketing and Communications division. Writing and editing, creativity, and the ability to influence without authority are key in this role. We invite you to include with your application a cover letter, resume and links to any work samples you’d like to share with us. Come join TNC and apply today!
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum 7 years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience crafting organization- or company-wide communication tools, including branding.
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading messages for targeted audiences.
- Experience presenting to diverse audiences including some or all of the following: internal and external executives, donors, members, board members, and the public or equivalent.
- Experience implementing, and managing multiple complex projects.
- Experienced storyteller and content producer with excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to produce compelling and innovative digital content that is informed by analytics and digital best practices.
- Ability to interpret and explain technical information to general audiences.
- Interest in exploring new technologies, platforms and experiences to present stories in new ways and improve content marketing efforts
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience developing, implementing and measuring communication and engagement plans/strategies.
- Experience in journalism, especially a digital journalism environment.
- Excellent project and time management skills, and the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining content quality on deadline in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working collaboratively across teams to plan and develop content, and strong comfort with absorbing and applying constructive feedback from peers and clients
- Experience working within enterprise web/email/social media content management systems
- Knowledge of or interest in conservation, sustainability and environmental issues and solutions
- Experience producing visual and/or audio content.
What We Bring
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 53171
, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation
in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.