The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is seeking a talented and dependable person to join our team. The candidate will report to the Media and Communications Manager for Count Me In (CMI).
As a key contributor, the Content & Communications Specialist will collaborate closely with the other members of the Outreach, Engagement, and Communications team, and will partner with internal and external stakeholders as needed for media and communication-based projects. This person should be passionate about cancer research and must have excellent written communication and design skills with the ability to remain organized in a highly demanding, fast-paced, and emotionally intellectual environment. The ideal candidate will serve as a key producer of content that is critical to Count Me In’s mission to engage all cancer communities to be represented in research. Alongside leadership’s guidance, they must be able to handle complex situations and effectively prioritize a wide variety of tasks, balancing multiple longer-term projects and goals with the immediate needs of the short-term deadlines.
The Successful Candidate
We are looking for a mission-driven team member with excellent writing, design, and organizational skills with experience in navigating complex situations. The successful candidate will be analytical, quick-thinking, & flexible with a strong emphasis on listening skills, excellent writing skills, and unwavering attention to detail. As a key supporter in meeting the content & communication needs across the organization, this person will work closely under the Media and Communications Manager & alongside cross-functional teams to ensure creative ideas for content are executed. This person will join a vibrant and values-driven community, which remains committed to maintaining an inclusive, diverse, and equitable work environment and welcomes people of varied backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
Responsibilities Will Include
- Assist with content development for media campaigns and other communications.
- Coordinate production of patient and partner engagement communications such as the Count Me In newsletter and other external communication projects.
- Partner with the Media and Communications Manager as needed to coordinate social media posts and engagement that could also be cross-referenced in different media formats.
- Write and develop content for outreach recruitment and collateral materials (i.e flyers, brochures, website blurbs)
- Assist with strategizing, creating, publicizing content, and executing in-person and virtual events as needed.
- Work to support ways to continuously optimize CMI’s internal and external communication mechanisms.
- Deeply engage with the community, and underrepresented communities within cancer research, to seek opportunities to highlight important information and tell compelling stories, and regularly pitch story and project ideas to support outreach and promotional efforts.
- Routinely practice digital listening skills and engage virtually with our social media followers
- Take on special projects as assigned by the Director of Outreach, Engagement, and Communications
- 1-3 years of professional writing & content design experience —knowledge of AP Style and Canva, Adobe, or other software
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including engaging voice, and demonstrated command of grammar and mechanics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to take ownership of and tackle interesting challenges.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion in handling confidential information and dealing with high-level executives.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work by considering its risk, importance, urgency, and potential implications. Ability to work both independently and proactively as well as highly collaboratively on a team.
- Ability to engage with lay audiences as well as scientific audiences.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy, including careful proofreading/copy editing of materials.
- Ability to uphold both the Broad Institute and CMI’s high standards of value
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
EEO is The Law - click here for more information
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Check out this video for a look into our community!