Outdoors.com with Bear Grylls is seeking a creative, thorough, forward-thinking, and detail-oriented full-time Features Editor with proven writing and editing skills to join our editorial team.
The Features Editor will work directly with the Editorial Director to cover the outdoors - from hiking to camping to paddlesports and beyond. This includes editing written submissions, generating assignments and content, and pitching new ideas and opportunities to continue to grow the brand and audience through digital channels, including social and the newsletter.
A successful candidate must be able to edit, proofread, complete projects on time, and write effectively for multiple formats.This person must be a flexible, cross-functional team player comfortable working in a fast-paced environment that will provide them with the creative outlet to let their talent shine.
The job is based in Nashville, TN at our headquarters in Germantown with the opportunity to be remote.
- Proofreading, editing, and polishing all written submissions to ensure content engages the audience and adheres to A.P and Outdoors.com tone, voice and style, and that items are factually correct and properly sourced.
- Coordinating editorial workflow to support high-volume site output, social content and newsletter.
- Pitching and writing features, listicles, conducting and writing interviews, and evergreen content daily—producing well-researched content.
- Assists Editorial Director with assigning freelance and internal writers.
- Ensure all-around consistency (style, fonts, images, and tone). Creating a content distribution plan to drive traffic and engage customers.
- Actively seeking out and coming up with new ideas and opportunities to continue to grow the brand and audience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills- strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Have knowledge of Content Management Systems, CMS. (e.g. WordPress).
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with little daily supervision.
- Ability to work/write quickly and efficiently—including features daily.
- Extensive knowledge of, and passion for, music and pop culture that extends beyond office hours and office walls.
- Knowledge of SEO writing.
- A meticulous approach to their work and an eye for detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate through project management tools, including Asana and Slack.
- Weekend and evening hours may be required.