Who We Are
The Daily Upside is a fast-growing digital media company covering business, finance, economics, and investing. Our team of career journalists covers the events and forces shaping the global business climate with a passion for peeling back the layers of market-moving stories.
Our flagship newsletter has scaled from zero to 1 million + subscribers in less than three years and boasts an industry-leading 45% unique open rate. Patent Drop, our tech newsletter, reaches 25k+ technologists, engineers, and product strategists with differentiated coverage on the future of tech. Power Corridor, our latest newsletter, covers the intersection of Wall Street and DC with hard-hitting coverage from a prominent investigative journalist.
About the Role
The Design Associate role is a new position that will play a major role across the core facets of the organization, primarily in editorial, product, brand partnerships, and growth. There is an opportunity for the right person to come in and work alongside senior leadership at the company to set strategy and execute on the creative vision for The Daily Upside, across platforms.
You will be working cross-functionally across teams to elevate our organic content and create highly immersive and effective campaigns for our prominent brand partners. From day one, you will be given significant latitude and responsibility to help shape the visual aspects of the company’s go-to market approach.
Early on you will be a stakeholder in the process of redesigning the branding and identity of The Daily Upside. We are currently seeking an external partner to work on this new visual system, and you would be a key stakeholder in this process. Once their work is done, you will continue to carry the torch of design and shepard the new identity system into all of our products as we rebuild them.
The Daily Upside Product Design:
- Work alongside the product team and an outside firm to shepherd a new identity and design for all TDU properties from ideation to final product.
- Responsible for production of website and email designs with the technical implementation and product stakeholders.
- Depending on skills level, work with the technical team on HTML / SCSS components.
- Give direction and create visual assets for the editorial and content teams to be used across web, email, and social properties.
- Work alongside the product team to conceive of design tweaks, updates, and planned A/B tests to determine what works best for our users and drives conversions.
- Depending on skill, work with the technology and growth team on realizing custom Looker Studio dashboards for understanding performance of the site and campaigns.
- Maintain the identity system for The Daily Upside and our verticals.
Brand Partnerships Development:
- Collaborate with the brand partnerships team to understand campaign goals and target audiences and deliver the desired message to our target audience.
- Create high quality designs assets such as rich media display banners, custom branded content templates, social media graphics, partner landing pages, custom newsletter templates, and other advertising assets.
- Ensure that all designs and assets are on-brand and align with advertising partners branding guidelines.
- Work with the development team to ensure that designs are implemented correctly and optimizes for performance.
- Stay up to date on design trends and technologies to ensure that our advertising assets are modern, bold, and effective.
Who you are:
- You are a designer that knows how to make things look good and align with identity frameworks.
- You know HTML and CSS and can build out basic frontend assets with modern best practices (JS knowledge a plus).
- Rockstar in Adobe Creative Suite & Figma
- You have a portfolio of design work to showcase experience and creativity.
- Experience collaborating with copywriters, paid advertisers, and product managers to achieve compelling marketing campaigns that express brand voice and aesthetic while promoting product value.
- Problem solver ready to tackle complex problems with creative design solutions and work with high level journalistic talent to amplify their work.
- You are very organized and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Competitive salary and commission structure
- Medical, health, and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Work from anywhere with a good internet connection
- Opportunity to work with a fun and passionate team and be a stakeholder in building something truly special in the media industry.
- Regular team outings (virtual or in-person)