Who We Are
The Daily Upside is a fast-growing digital media company covering business, finance, economics, and investing. Our team of career journalists covers the events and forces shaping the global business climate with a passion for peeling back the layers of market-moving stories.
Our flagship newsletter has scaled from zero to 1 million + subscribers in less than three years and boasts an industry-leading 45% unique open rate. Patent Drop, our tech newsletter, reaches 25k+ technologists, engineers, and product strategists with differentiated coverage on the future of technology. Power Corridor, our latest newsletter, covers the intersection of Wall Street and DC with hard-hitting coverage from a prominent investigative journalist.
About the Role:
We are looking for an executive editor to lead and grow the editorial team at The Daily Upside. The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of business news, finance, and economics, a digital-first mindset and a desire to roll up their sleeves to create a best-in-class newsletter product.
You will help guide story selection to cater to an audience of sophisticated readers who span industries from Wall Street to Silicon Valley. You’ll use your depth of knowledge and domain expertise to surface unique angles and insights on business news, M&A, and economic trends.
While substantive, The Daily Upside has established a creative, differentiated, and adventurous voice. You’ll work to define and refine this voice, with a north star of “making what’s important, interesting.”
In addition to your journalism creds, you are a seasoned manager who can nurture a diverse team of 6+ writers and editors and inspire them to do the best work. (A tall task, but the team is talented and ready). If you are ambitious, determined, experienced, informed, and networked, have a pulse on the news cycle, and a passion for storytelling, this is your gig.
- Guide daily story selection to create optimal mix of large, market-moving stories and niche economic / finance stories we can differentiate on
- Stewardship of The Daily Upside’s authentic and fearless voice, based on thorough reporting, strong opinion, conversational style and skepticism of conventional wisdom
- Hire, retain and develop editorial staff
- Manage the editorial budget
- Represent the title externally at events and in the media to raise its profile
- Strong leadership skills with at least 4 years of experience in financial media. Managing a team of journalists in a fast-paced deadline-driven, digital environment
- Experience in digital media with experience in newsletters a huge plus
- First-rate editorial judgment and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience of liaising with stakeholders across the company
- Competitive salary and commission structure (dependent on skills, experience, and competencies)
- Medical, health, and vision
- Unlimited PTO, paid holidays
- Work from anywhere with a good internet connection
- Opportunity to work with a fun and passionate team and be a stakeholder in building something truly special in the media industry.
- Regular team outings (virtual or in-person)