Advanced Energy United (formerly known as Advanced Energy Economy) educates, engages, and advocates for policies that allow our member companies to compete to repower our economy with 100% clean energy. We work with decision makers at every level of government as well as regulators of energy markets to achieve this goal. The businesses we represent are lowering consumer costs, creating millions of new jobs, and providing the full range of clean, efficient, and reliable energy and transportation solutions. Today, these businesses have a combined market capitalization in excess of $3 trillion. Together, we are united in our mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy in the United States.
Advanced Energy United seeks an energetic Communications Manager passionate about helping the country transition to 100% clean energy to manage its communications activities in the Western U.S. Under the supervision of the Director of Strategic Communications, the Communications Manager for the West will be responsible for media relations in Western states – specifically California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico – and will be expected to work closely with Advanced Energy United’s policy team to develop and execute communications strategies in support of Advanced Energy United’s policy and campaign work advocating for the transition to a 100% carbon free economy. Our companies bring a unique pro-business voice to clean energy discussions, and this position would help ensure that voice is represented and amplified in media discussions. The Communications Manager will elevate the organization’s expert voices in the media and is not expected to act as an organization spokesperson. The Communications Manager will also support Advanced Energy United’s communications, content creation, and social media activities for the entire organization in partnership with other members of the Communications staff. This position fits at the principal level within Advanced Energy United’s staffing structure.
- Work with Advanced Energy United staff to translate what are often complex energy policy and regulatory developments into compelling stories and messages that can help motivate key opinion leaders to act.
- Secure media coverage for Advanced Energy United advocacy campaign efforts, focused on the Western U.S.
- Lead development of communications strategies to support the organization’s advocacy campaigns focused on the Western U.S.
- Manage press relations with news outlets and reporters.
- Pitch reporters by phone and email, draft press statements and releases for media, arrange media interviews for policy team members, write and place op-eds, develop talking points with policy staff.
- Seek out thought leadership opportunities for the organization’s policy and operations staff, such as speaking engagements.
- Support organization’s content creation output, including but not limited to writing and editing blog posts, drafting and publishing content for social media platforms, editing fact sheets, providing writing and planning support for webinars, assisting with weekly and monthly newsletter development, and assisting with additional website content upkeep.
- Maintain and develop working relationships with coalition partners and businesses on communications activities.
- Demonstrated ability to secure earned media coverage; established contacts and relationships with clean energy reporters in the West is preferred.
- 4-7 years related professional communications experience; Bachelor’s degree with relevant education experience, such as Communications or Journalism, is preferred.
- Exceptional writing and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex issues in a compelling way for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple activities independently and juggle competing deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Flexible attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to work collaboratively and productively with remote teams.
- Experience with social media platforms is preferred.
- Experience working on advocacy issues and writing about policy is preferred.
- Experience working on clean energy issues, such as renewable energy or clean transportation, is a plus.
Special Application Instructions
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as your resume.
Job type: Full-time, regular (residence in U.S. required)
Location: Western U.S. (remote)
Start Date: June 2023
Salary: Starting at $65,000
Advanced Energy United Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families,
- Medical premiums covered for employees at 100%
- Flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care
- Profit Sharing opportunities, and annual merit-based compensation increases
- $50/month personal wellness reimbursement
- $50/month phone stipend
- Accrued Paid Time Off, 11 Federal Holidays, and an annual end-of-year closure
- Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement, and professional development reimbursement
- 401(k) plan (with matching incentives)
- WMATA Transit Smart Benefits (DMV employees)
Advanced Energy United is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application, interview process, and/ or to perform essential job functions please contact the Talent Acquisition team at