Part Time, 24 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: July 2023
826CHI is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. More information can be found at www.826chi.org.
826CHI is a creative organization that highly values collaboration, creativity, and strategic thinking. There is a lot of laughter in the 826CHI office, yet we take our work seriously and operate with a high degree of professionalism. 826CHI staff members work hard, care about details, and work both independently and as part of a team. Our model is inherently community-based and values building strong relationships with Chicago’s many communities.
Commitment to Inclusion
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826CHI recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive 826 environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: we will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, language, parental status, military service, or (dis)ability. We strive to put our values into action through planning, decision making, and community building.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Marketing Coordinator is responsible for helping to promote and raise awareness of 826CHI’s programs and communities. The Marketing Coordinator supports the graphic design, web management and external and development communications. 826CHI seeks someone who is enthusiastic about our mission with a passion for creating information access to communities and school of Chicago. This part-time role will involve creating and managing content for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin) and email campaigns, creating marketing collateral for all 826CHI departments, producing copy for print and digital materials, updating our websites, and collaborating with 826CHI staff to ensure consistent messaging and branding across all communications.
Graphic Design (50%)
- Creating graphic design content and marketing collateral for all social media platforms, external communications, fundraising, and outreach materials. This includes but is not limited to reels, stories, posts, newsletters, flyers and posters.
- Coordinate with various members of 826CHI staff to determine and execute on marketing needs.
- Work with Development and Communications Manager on implementation of marketing and development initiatives and goals.
- Design marketing and outreach materials templates for department-specific and cross-department use.
- Support 826CHI staff in use of marketing templates.
Social Media and Newsletters (40%)
- Lead writing and collection of copy for all social media posts and newsletters
- Scheduling all social media posts through social media scheduling platforms (Hootsuite)
- Creating and scheduling bi-weekly newsletters through newsletter scheduling platforms (MailChimp)
- Coordinate special occassion and cutlturate heritage months content (i.e. Black History Month, Teacher Appreciation, etc.)
- Support staff in template design of communtiy and department-specific newsletters.
826CHI & Secret Agent Supply Co. Websites (10%)
- Updates websites as needed or requested.
- Create publication pre-orders on SASC website.
- Keep website calendar updated with all 826CHI and SASC events.
- Make updates and post new content as needed or requested.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum two years of experience in graphic and web design, and content creation for a business or nonprofit.
- Minimum two years of experience in marketing and communications.
- Experience and strong skills in designing digital and print materials and assets.
- Skilled in the use of Adobe, Canva, and social media and marketing campaign platforms (Hootsuite, MailChimp, Constant Contact)
- Committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to write effectively and persuasively.
- Excellent judgment and initiative; enthusiastic and entrepreneurial.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple responsibilities.
- Experience with managing up and laterally to accomplish goals.
- Passion for youth education and baseline understanding of community-based organizations, public schools, Chicago education landscape.
- Strong sense of and commitment to social justice.
All new 826CHI employees are required to be fully vaccinated (2 week following final dosage) by their start date unless they are unable to be vaccinated due to religious and medical reasons. New employees must provide proof of vaccination at the time a candidate accepts the offer (unless pending a second dose) to begin the final hiring and onboarding process.
The Marketin Coordinator is a non-exempt, part-time position (24 hours per week). The Marketing Coordinator reports to the Director of Development and Communications and is a member of the Development and Communications Team.
Salary and Benefits
826CHI is committed to creating an environment that is supportive of learning, growth and staff development. Our investment in part-staff includes paid holidays, combined PTO, and professional development. The salary range for this position is $20-25k and is commensurate with experience.
826CHI is an equal opportunity employer. 826CHI is committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team. We strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented communities in the education and nonprofit sectors to apply. 826CHI values professional experience and impact and therefore does not require degrees for consideration of employment. To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and list of three professional references