DeSales Media Group, a unique mission-driven Catholic media nonprofit, is looking for a creative, bilingual digital and print journalist to join its growing news division. In the last year, Nuestra Voz has gained a global audience. You will work closely with the Deputy Editor covering the Hispanic Catholic experience in a multimedia, multiplatform environment including print, digital and television. This candidate will be an expert at multi-tasking, take a proactive attitude, and rise to the occasion of meeting the daily demands of an online and print publication. They will work with other departments in the group, which include The Tablet newspaper (the Diocese of Brooklyn's newspaper), Currents News (a nightly newscast which presents stories from the Catholic perspective). They will collaborate with short and long-form features for both online and print, along with additional editorial projects. This candidate must have the ability to easily transition between languages and platforms to fulfill the different assignments.
- Assist the Deputy Editor in developing and implementing the social media strategy of the brand.
- Work with writers and contributors to plan and edit content for publication on print and online.
- Assist the Deputy Editor in managing websites and social media accounts.
- Create, edit and distribute the editor's picks newsletter.
Background/ Experience/ Skills
- 3+ years working in a newsroom as reporter, editor, or multimedia journalist
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent
- Exceptional writing and grammar skills in Spanish, and English.
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS, and some SEO experience desired.
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign CC suite.
- Working knowledge of some digital marketing tools i.e. Mailchimp.
About DeSales Media Group
DeSales Media Group is the non-profit communications and technology arm of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Services include media relations and strategy, marketing and social media, ad sales, educational support, video production, large events, and news content. DeSales Media Group operates NET-TV, a cable television channel that reaches more than two million people in the New York area. Its news group produces a nightly television program, two award-winning newspapers (The Tablet and Nuestra Voz), and digital news department. We don't just cover our own backyard. We go where the news is happening. Our reporters have recently traveled to Puerto Rico, Texas, Colombia, Rome, and Hong Kong, Ireland, and most recently Panama for live World Youth Day. The news department is the only outlet in the country to offer extensive live coverage of papal trips and just completed more than 40 hours of live in-depth reporting of the Holy Father's trip to Ireland for the World Meeting of Families. DeSales Media is growing and looking for creative and experienced professionals who are motivated to make a difference.