Fisk University - Nashville, TN
4 Year Degree
The Help Desk Analyst serves as the first level of support for all IT related services at the University. The major areas of responsibility include:
- Level 1 support for personal computer (PC), printer, network and telecommunications issues
- Research and development
- Manage department work-study students
- Provide backup support for media services
60 % Personal computer (PC), printer, network and telecommunication support
25 % Research and development
- Assists over the telephone and occasionally in the field with troubleshooting PC and network problems when appropriate.
- Operates all IT administrative and assigned academic systems at a high level of service, performance and reliability.
- Manages daily functions of the help desk by answering calls into the help desk from users; and providing Level 1 support for the most common problems on pc support, network support and support for other academic applications; and creating tickets as a means to track the issue; and troubleshoot every issue reported, escalating the ones that require another team member.
- Performs password resets, account re-enables, and other tasks as it pertains to Active Directory
- Install, configure, and distribute newly acquired hardware and software to end-users.
10 % Manage Federal Work-Study students
- Analyzes the weekly trouble tickets and presents a weekly report to the IT staff on corrective actions to meet service level targets.
- Develops and implements all policies and procedures to be used by the Help Desk function and holds in-service training for IT staff and key user department.
- Develops and implements the support strategy for the IT department in terms of Level 1 support and obtains IT staff support for implementing the strategy.
- Researches and implements "benchmarked" best practices of Help Desk operations and sets up mechanisms for achieving a top rated help desk operations, which meets weekly close rate and satisfaction level goals.
- Develops and maintains in an updated database scripts for common problems and disseminates that information regularly to the user community in the newsletter and other communications.
- Develops and maintains quality control methods to ensure integrity of the Help Desk Operations, data collected, and actions taken by IT staff for problem resolution.
- Designs and implements the annual user satisfaction opinion survey and use the results to establish annual service level targets which is incorporated into the IT Balanced Scorecard.
5 % Media Services
- Ensure students are clocking in and out and recording their time appropriately.
- Provide and train students on the tasks they are to complete.
- Interview and ensure students are the right fit for our department and will provide a level of professionalism as well as a good work ethic.
- Create and maintain a working schedule for students that other team members can utilize.
- Ensure students stay busy accomplishing needed tasks when they are clocked in.
- Provide backup to our PC Support Technician in handling media service requests.
- Stay knowledgeable on all campus technology as it pertains to media services as to provide support both in person and over the phone.
- Work with PC Support Technician to ensure documentation and trainings are handled in a timely and appropriate manner.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the University:
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Serve as a conduit to keep all IT personnel informed of all running projects and deadlines.
- Any other job functions not listed that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Ability to multitask
- Knowledge of all aspects of Help Desk Operations.
- Excellent customer service skills to include good oral and written business communication skills.
- Strong PC skills in all Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access etc.) in addition to Project Management Tools.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently or in a group/team effort; good people relationship skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, i.e., goal and task oriented; must be able to follow-through on tasks and/or goals.
- Assists with development of presentations for internal and external presentations related to the Help Desk operations.
- Solid knowledge of all IT data center functions, administrative software applications in an educational environment or other related industry; and hardware support requirements.
- Knowledge of basic network design, technologies.
No direct reports.Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or related field preferred. Experience:
Current knowledge of existing and new IT systems focusing on user support and training tools. Data analysis skills for decision support activities. Licenses or Certificates:
A+, Network+, MCITP, CCENT are desirableAdditional Requirements:
A background and/or credit check will be required of the successful applicant. An official transcript (if applicable) and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required of the successful applicant.