Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Supports the creation, management and execution of communication plans, for synthesizing and communicating complex academic concepts for general audiences. Develops and manages forward-looking strategic communications in traditional and new media–both externally and internally–in order to enhance Yale’s reputation and communicate Yale’s messages.
1. Manages relationships with external media sources. Pursues media coverage creatively and aggressively. Responds to inquiries from national and international news media, student media, the University community and the general public. 2. Enhances the overall quality of media relations for key stakeholders by preparing them for media interviews. Manages relationships with key campus stakeholders with a high degree of professionalism, judgment and understanding of stakeholder goals. 3. Creates compelling story ideas and narratives; produces content for both external and internal channels; writes copy and social media posts and manages content. 4. Plans social media strategies for key University communications and programs. Monitors University social media assets for negative comments or misinformation. 5. Supports short- and long-term communication planning with insights into audiences, channels and culture; coordinates with other communications professionals to achieve institutional goals; leads the communications process within developed standards and protocols. 6. Supports effective response strategies, often in crisis situations requiring 24/7 attention and intense media/public scrutiny, and articulates the University’s position via personal interviews or written responses. 7. Produces multimedia content and manages the work of graphic and web designers, student interns, printers, video producers and photographers. 8. Manages communication plans for all stakeholders by understanding the significance of campus initiatives and/or academic work; creates compelling stories and messages to translate the significance through language that is clear and accessible for public awareness. 9. Develops and maintains regular contact with media representatives in multiple disciplines. 10. Maintains the Yale brand and graphic identity standards; supports and maintains standard operating procedures; contributes to digital asset management. 11. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field and five years of experience in public relations, journalism, television, corporate communications or agency work or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in developing communications for a range of media and working with creative professionals in design, photography or video.
- Excellent copywriting skills.
- Demonstrated ability creating and managing social media content.
- Familiarity with website content management and digital newsletter platforms.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong aesthetic design sensibility.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.