CXL is an e-learning company focused on digital marketing. It's 90% recurring revenue, so similar to a SaaS business.
We’re a small but ambitious business, with a big impact. We punch above our weight.
Since our inception in 2011, we’ve made a name for ourselves as the top resource for conversion optimization expertise. We deliver known quality and have a strong brand with raving customers. We've built a reputation as THE destination for data-driven marketing training.
We run 2 world-class conferences each year - CXL Live and Elite Camp. We have offices in Tallinn, Estonia and Austin, TX, USA.
We’re self-funded, profitable, and grew 45% during the pandemic. We’re proud of that, but we want to grow faster.
About the role:
Have you ever wanted to build a media company inside a company? Come do it.
Own CXL media and educational content machine. Manage a small team.
This is a pivotal new leadership role at CXL, reporting directly to the CEO.
The big idea: CXL is aiming to win the market with high-quality bold earned media and differentiated paid content.
As the Head of Media at CXL, you will define and execute strategy of our world-class content in two major areas:
- (1) by helping us build an earned media machine for individual-contributor level marketers, the goal is to become of the favorite channels to consume in this space,
- (2) through the marketing course video content we deliver via subscription to our customers (integrated with the earned media machine).
Your goal is to extend the reach and affinity of our brand by delivering the best content in the world that will help people become the best marketers of their generation.
The key focus for the role: media strategy and building a production machine.
For earned media side, we're thinking in a channel-agnostic way. It's content first, then packaging it for the right medium (from newsletter to LinkedIn to Tiktok). We want to start 2 original shows that are closely tied to our identify and company strategy. (Will share more details during the interview process).
On the paid product side, this is about deciding which courses CXL should teach, identifying the best instructors, keeping the course production machine going.
Here are some things you’ll do in the next 18 months:
- Build an earned media machine (think Profitwell or Morning Brew) - shipping original, high quality content every single week. Not SEO blog posts, but branded shows/newsletters.
- Take over and own earned media and paid (course) content production - Work with our existing content production team to improve the quality of our course content to better deliver on our promise as the premium marketing education destination. This includes courses, blogs, webinars and social media thought leadership. We’re looking for at least 2 new courses per month, 2 course updates per month, and 2 blog posts per month. All of these should be world class.
- Create and manage a content calendar - You must stay in tune with the needs of marketers today and bridge the gap between what we have and what we should have to maintain a leadership position. You’ll want collaborators both inside and outside the company and you’ll ultimately need to be the expert curator to tell all what they need to know.
- Develop a content repurposing process and ecosystem - Showcase our course content via social media (LinkedIn,TikTok, YouTube), email, and the CXL blog.
- Explore additional channels and methods - Test new course content creation and delivery methods (remote/podcast style/shorts) and other content channels (e.g. podcasts). Live at the bleeding edge of content creation, experimenting with AI-assistive technologies. Share these learnings with the marketing community.
- Develop relationships in marketing communities - You will need to source instructors and collaborate frequently with marketing experts. CXL should be a common thread for the careers of marketing experts and novices alike.
- Contribute to events - Help plan and produce world-class community focused events (virtual and in-person) that increases share of voice for CXL. These are another channel for content delivery and, we expect, will be increasingly important to our brand.
The boundaries of this role:
- This role will own content creation with a primary focus on newsletter and social content + video (paid product). That is what we are about at CXL and the single most important thing we can deliver to our customers. Content distribution, however, will be the primary responsibility of Marketing. This arrangement will require deep and frequent collaboration with both teams in order to establish effective feedback loops, to coordinate distribution, and to evolve formats over time.
- Product will own packaging of courses and the Learning Management System (LMS) that shapes content delivery, however, all of the course content will come from this role. Evolution of course content structure should come as a collaboration with the Product team.
Who you are and what you bring:
- Demonstrated experience in producing original content and shows (not SEO blog content), and building audiences on social.
- Deep understanding of educational and entertaining video content (edutainment) and digital marketing
- A passion for education and marketing
- A writing whiz, a connoisseur of edutainment, and the ability to build excellent relationships by posting, commenting, and DMing on LinkedIn/TikTok/YouTube/Private Groups
- The ability to define content/community strategies and their corresponding metrics in order to ultimately drive traffic, trials, and revenue growth
- Experience in (non-boring) B2B preferred
Why work with us?
Learn from people who know their stuff. We have serious A-players on the team.
Work on exciting things. The world is your playground. We have exciting clients and interesting projects.
Personal development. We support your growth with mentorship, necessary books, courses, and so on. You get to work with people that push you to become better.
Freedom. No one will micromanage you. You have the freedom to take on and lead new projects within the company as long as they support our overall goals.
Be part of something big. Who thinks small remains small. Be surrounded by people going places.Your role and responsibilities in our company can grow with you. Daniel Pink wrote this in his seminal book "Drive": People are most motivated by having autonomy, mastery, and purpose. We make sure you get a ton of all three.
-28 paid vacation days + national holidays
-In-office gym - sound body, sound mind (Tallinn and Austin only)
-All-you-can-learn from CXL Institute: full access to all courses - we are an education business after all
-Unlimited sick leave - stay home, get well
-100% remote and flexible working hours - we care about shipping, not when you are at the office