Mental Health America of Los Angeles (MHALA) has been a pioneer in mental health services, advocacy, innovation, and training for nearly a century. As one of the most comprehensive social service agencies in LA County, MHALA provides integrated mental health, physical health, wellness, employment, housing, education and outreach services, with special programs for transition age youth and Veterans.
MHALA works to ensure that its employees are just as cared for as its members. Communication, collaboration, transparency and a healthy work/life balance are core components of the agency culture. Employees are encouraged to engage in self-care and can enjoy a 35-hour workweek.
MHALA fosters diversity at all levels of the organization. The agency promotes a team-oriented culture that offers opportunities for growth. We are proud to offer a competitive salary and full benefits package, including an employee assistance program, and generous paid time off.Temporary Development and Communications Associate
35 hours per week/$21.00 - $25.00 per hour
(The actual compensation will be determined based on experience and other factors permitted by law.)Summary:
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development & Communications Associate will assist with the day-to-day operations of MHALA's Development and Communications Departments.Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This is not an exhaustive task list, and other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate or necessary by the manager or Communications VP. Reasonable accommodation will be provided to any qualified person with a medical or psychiatric disability, providing it will not change the essential nature of the position, nor cause undue hardship to the Agency's operations. MHALA is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. The Agency will consider individuals with a criminal history.
- Work with CDO to create and manage annual fund direct mail appeals; work with mail house for layout, including various versions; pull and submit mailing lists; oversee the mailing process to ensure drop dates are on time.
- In collaboration with the CDO, support Under the Toque and other fundraising events, including identifying and working with sponsors, vendors, the event committee, Board of Directors and community partners. Manage event website, guest registration, check-in, and payment collection. Coordinate live and silent auctions. Other duties, as needed.
- In collaboration with Communications, create and produce event-related materials, promotions, and other graphic design materials.
- Collaborate with the CDO and Communications team to execute a digital fundraising strategy, including digital appeals.
- Reconcile with the accounting department's budget and purchase orders.
- Monitor and distribute information from the department’s e-mail account.
- Send donor acknowledgment letters (at least once a week) and general correspondence, as needed.
- Oversee "gift in kind" (GIK) donations and relationships with staff and donors. Ensure form is completed for each GIK and submitted to Finance within 48 hours of receipt of the donation.
- Holiday Cards - create mailing list; coordinate with mail house.
- Maintain files for individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Review and respond promptly (within 48 hours), accurately, and cordially to email inquiries.
- Efficiently and accurately administer gift processing; requires going to the office regularly to check mail and process donations.
- Update and maintain accurate donor files; scan documents, including grants, into donor records; add and update individual, corporate, and foundation contact information in donor database (Raiser's Edge).
- Standardize and ensure donor database health.
- Enter pertinent notes/actions in Raiser’s Edge.
- Create a variety of special reports, including reports for events, direct mail, and other fundraising needs.
- Use prospect research tools and donor database to identify potential major donors.
- Create internal and external advertising and marketing materials, including ads, billboards, newsletters, annual/impact reports, flyers, and brochures.
- Create branded materials for MHALA enterprises, such as the Village Cookie Shop & Cafe, as well as website design, brochures, and apparel.
- Draft development-related email blasts and social media posts.
- Provide support for website maintenance and e-blast set-up and scheduling.
- Assist with or create photo and video materials.
- Organize and maintain our photo database.
- Maintain e-newsletter and email lists and enter into Constant Contact.
- Prepare communications reports for board meetings.
- Monitor and distribute information from the department’s email account.
- Work with Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations to package grant applications and ensure proposals are submitted within deadlines.
- Obtain and coordinate documentation required for the submission of grants and proposals.
- Develop graphs and charts for proposals.
- Ensure proposal and grant files are properly maintained and stored.
- Schedule monthly meetings with departments involved with each grant.
- Update and monitor grants spreadsheet.
- Track when grant funds have been received and ensure signatures are obtained to finalize grant agreements.
- Minimum 3 years of fundraising and communications experience in an office setting working with donor databases, events, communications and support. Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Canva, Constant Contact, Word Press and photo-editing software, a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Must have attention to detail
- Great customer service skills and ability to maintain a consistent, high level of service
- Must have ability to multi-task, manage multiple projects and establish priorities without losing productivity
- Internet research abilities
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times
- Must function well in a team-oriented approach to member services
- Proficient in computer applications including Raiser's Edge, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Accurate typing at 25-35 wpm
- Good working knowledge of all basic office machines, including standard telephone switchboards, photocopiers, fax machines, postage meters, PC's, scanners, printers etc.
- Driving with current class C driver's license, a vehicle for transportation, proof of valid automobile insurance, the ability to be insured by MHALA liability insurance are conditions of employment
- Flexible work schedule including some evenings and weekends.
- TB clearance and re-testing every year are conditions of continued employment
- COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of this position. Accommodations will be considered upon proof of a legal exemption.